Crosswordimporter hang
  • The latest automatic update of Black Ink has left the CrosswordImporter.mdimporter hanging somehow. Any attempt to empty the trash brings posts a dialog that CWI is in use. Strangely, it doesn't show as a process (attached to the other spotlight stuff, I suppose), and logging out and in again doesn't quit it. The trash has to be forcibly emptied (rm)
  • Wow ... so is it still hanging for you? Could you try to grab a sample from Activity Monitor?

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

If you find the process in the list, double click it. You should then see a "Sample" button in the lower-left corner.

Thanks for reporting this,
    Daniel
  • Sorry, Daniel;

I wasn't clear. I kept getting the message that the CrosswordImporter.mdimporter was in use, but it did not show up in the Activity Monitor by that name; a sample wasn't an option unless you meant mds or mdworker.

I'm having further problems with the latest, though. Occasionally the "Houston Chronicle (12-7-08).puz" is undoing or forgetting a sequence of letters as I move elsewhere. Haven't sorted out what leads up to that.

Vis-à-vis the mdimporter hang, the console has this to say:
    12/8/08 12:06:06 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([0x0-0x954954].com.red-sweater.BlackInk[34039]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 34055 PPID 34053 wc 
    12/8/08 12:06:06 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([0x0-0x954954].com.red-sweater.BlackInk[34039]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 34053 PPID 34052 bash
    12/8/08 12:06:06 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([0x0-0x954954].com.red-sweater.BlackInk[34039]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 34052 PPID 34051 bash
    12/8/08 12:06:06 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([0x0-0x954954].com.red-sweater.BlackInk[34039]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 34051 PPID 1 bash
  • Thanks for the clarification about the MDI ... I guess this must be a special case when the old version of the application gets trashed - perhaps while it's being used to index for spotlight?

I expect that restarting your Mac would cause the MDI problem to go away. But it sounds like you already solved it with the force-trash? I will ask around and see if any other developers have run into this problem.

As it happens I released another update today, to 1.1.4. I'm curious to hear if you run into the same problem upon updating again. Also, let me know if you continue to see anything weird with the "undoing letters" issue.

Daniel
  • Thanks, Daniel;

I am running 1.1.4. The only other app I use regularly that has the same problem (frequently) is Journler. Phil at Journler dot com to ask.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!