Using NUMBERS in Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Dumb question, I'm sure, but I'm stumped - sorry if this has been asked/answered before.

I've set up a few shortcuts to use when hitting cmd+1, cmd+2, etc on the number pad on the right side of the keyboard.

I'd like to be able to also use these same shortcuts with the number keys along the top row of the keyboard, but FastScripts will only allow one or the other, not both.

Am I missing something?
  • Hi Rich - I don't have any problem setting the shortcuts separately.

What exactly happens when you try to set the two shortcuts? How do you know that it is FastScripts refusing to let you choose the other?

It's possible that this behavior depends on the particular type of Mac or keyboard. What kind of keyboard is this?
  • Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Mail - I have a script to show my Spam folder so I can delete all that crap quickly.
    tell application \"Mail\"
    set the selected mailboxes of message viewer 1¬
    to {mailbox \"Spam\" of application \"Mail\"}
    end tell

I can set FS to use either the number pad or the top row numbers, but not both - FYI I'm using cmd-2, since cmd-1 is to the main inbox.

And now that you mention it, I've found that these shortcuts are interchangeable in other apps - it's Mail that's my problem.
  • Forgot to add, this is a Matias TactilePro 2.0 keyboard.
  • Interesting that it's only in Mail. I wonder if Mail is doing something funny with Cmd-2 as well? I wonder if you try Cmd-3, does it change things at all?

I just tried on my Mac and seemed to be able to assign two different Mail scripts to the separate Cmd-2's. I wonder if it does have something to do with the keyboard you're using.

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Interesting that it's only in Mail. I wonder if Mail is doing something funny with Cmd-2 as well? I wonder if you try Cmd-3, does it change things at all?

i'm using FS with cmd-3 to show yet another folder, and it behaves the same way. FYI, the default for cmd-3 in Mail is to view the "drafts" folder, 4 is "Sent", 5 is "Trash" - FS overrides those, but the number pad/top row issue still exists in all cases.
    Daniel Jalkut said:
    I just tried on my Mac and seemed to be able to assign two different Mail scripts to the separate Cmd-2's. I wonder if it does have something to do with the keyboard you're using.

I tried the wife's skinny metal keyboard (the new-fangled ones) and things behave the same way.

I thought another thing that might be an issue is that this particular machine is a MacBook Pro, however Mail behaves the same way on her iMac, using a standard keyboard.

Both of these machines are running Leopard 10.5.6 and Mail 3.5

This isn't a big issue, but it would be neat if it worked.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!