Suggestion for future thought
  • If the Script Editor is your primary tool for writing and debugging AppleScripts, then FastScripts could become a very handy notifier for debugging. When I've tried this with structures like this:

-- some script

set myNote to aNote(\"Whatever\", howLong)

-- some more script

delay 1.5 -- just inserted for the example

cancelNote(myNote)

on aNote(entry)
    tell application \"FastScripts\" to set theNote to display message entry¬
    at screen position top right dismissing after delay howLong
    return theNote
    end aNote

on cancelNote(noteRef)
    tell application \"FastScripts\" to set autodismiss time of noteRef to 0.01
    end cancelNote

it has worked quite nicely and doesn't require fiddling with a display dialog.
  • That's a great idea, Nova. I personally have always used the "return " technique of debugging my scripts, but I think you are on to a great alternative to the "log" functionality of Script Editor.

Your idea begs for an "auto-tiling" or "append" functionality of the display message function, though...
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Your idea begs for an "auto-tiling" or "append" functionality of the display message function, though...

I know, Daniel; you discussed that in this thread and I'm hoping it's near the top of your list. The idea also begs for a simple AppleScript dictionary entry to do it. I'd much prefer it to the log in the Script Editor.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!