Archived posts missing line breaks.
  • Hello,

    I just started using ME for my Wordpress version 2.1 blog, and am enjoying it so far. I gave it the URL for my main index, and it downloaded all my old posts, but when I went back to look at them (I'd like to use ME to do technorati tagging) most of the carriage returns were stripped out. Same thing with new posts created within the program. So I'm getting these huge blobs of text that are almost impossible read easily, and editing is similarly problematic, as I'm not sure what will happen if I fix the line breaks in my archives, seeing as everything already looks fine when I upload. Other attributes, such as boldface tags, work fine.

    I've done a little digging, and note that MarsEdit autoconfiged my blog as using the "Other MetaWeblog-compatable" option, instead of Wordpress. Any reason why it would choose this? (I've never heard of MetaWeblog, so I have no idea what it is.) Could this be part of my problem?

    Thanks for the help. :D
  • Hi! I have noticed that MarsEdit seems to falsely guess "Metaweblog" as the option for WordPress blogs. I'm not entirely sure yet of what all the nuances are between that option and "WordPress," since WordPress does use the Metaweblog API (internally). But I would *definitely* suggest trying to switch the selection to WordPress. That's what I use on my own blog and it seems to work well.

    Please let us know if the problems persist after making this change.

    Daniel
  • Oh and - I do plan to improve the detection code so it does a better job of guessing WordPress when it's obvious (like if there's a "Generator" tag for WordPress in the blog's homepage!).
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Hi! I have noticed that MarsEdit seems to falsely guess "Metaweblog" as the option for WordPress blogs. I'm not entirely sure yet of what all the nuances are between that option and "WordPress," since WordPress does use the Metaweblog API (internally). But I would *definitely* suggest trying to switch the selection to WordPress. That's what I use on my own blog and it seems to work well.

    Please let us know if the problems persist after making this change.

    Daniel

    Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.

    I just deleted my blog and re-adding it, manually setting it to WordPress before synching it. It seems to work, but unfortunately, the problem persists.

    What version of WordPress do you use? Maybe mine's incompatable somehow (I use 2.1.2).
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Hi! I have noticed that MarsEdit seems to falsely guess "Metaweblog" as the option for WordPress blogs. I'm not entirely sure yet of what all the nuances are between that option and "WordPress," since WordPress does use the Metaweblog API (internally). But I would *definitely* suggest trying to switch the selection to WordPress. That's what I use on my own blog and it seems to work well.

    Please let us know if the problems persist after making this change.

    Daniel

    An update, if you're interested: I noticed that when I open an entry in my archive, the carriage returns are just as they should be, so I realized it had something to do with the preview options. I looked around the settings for that particular blog, and saw something called Preview Text Filter. On a hunch I selected "Convert Line Breaks," and this seems to have done the trick for 99.9 percent of the problem (there's still one post that doesn't display right, but hey, this is much better).

    What exactly does this option do? I couldn't find any info on this drop down menu in the help. Should "Convert Line Breaks" be turned on by default for WordPress blogs, maybe?
  • I probably need to update the help documentaiton to be a bit more informative about the text filters.

    The idea with the text filters is they are there *purely* to simulate transformations on the entry text that will be performed later by your blog on the server.

    As for whether the "Convert Line Breaks" should be on by default for WordPress - that's a good question. I just realized that I personally have it off, and that might explain my habit of always manually putting the

    tags into the posts :)

    Probably I should do some research as to what kind of "auto-formatting" the various blog systems do by default, and if they do some kind of auto-paragraphing, I should turn on the filter by default, as you suggest.

    Thanks,
    Daniel

Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!