App-specific shortcuts triggering from other apps
  • Although it says in Preferences/Script Shortcuts that "Shortcuts for scripts within the 'Applications' folder are only active when that application is frontmost", I've found that scripts stored in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail trigger no matter which application has focus. Am I going wrong somewhere?
  • I've never heard of a bug like this, but it's possible there is something I've overlooked.

Can you confirm that you set the shortcuts for these items in the "Applications" section of the outline, and that these scripts aren't also present elsewhere in the script hierarchy? Is it possible you have a copy of the script elsewhere, and just put an alias in the Mail folder?

Daniel
  • Thanks for the quick response. The problem seems to have been that I'd originally assigned the shortcuts before moving them to Scripts/Applications. I did wonder about that, and had cleared and then reassigned the shortcuts to try to resolve it, but that didn't work. I just tried removing Fastscripts entirely and then reinstalling, and the problem's gone.
  • Aha - interesting example. I will also add this to my bug list … to see if I can "convert" a keyboard shortcut from global to app-specfiic when the script moves into the app-specific folder. Thanks.
  • It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but I think I may have another data point to contribute.

I noticed the same behavior, where app-specific keyboard shortcuts are getting triggered unexpectedly.

I noticed that the scripts in question show up under "Recent Scripts". Might this be the source of the problem?

Can I disable Recent Scripts or clear that submenu?
  • Hi - I don't think the Recent Scripts thing has anything to do with it, but i will do some more testing to be sure.

If you quit and relaunch FastScripts, do the scripts and their shortcuts go back to normal? I think whatever is happening it a glithc that makes FastScripts "lose its mind" only for the duration of its lifetime while running.
  • After quitting and relaunching FastScripts, things are working as expected. I think I must have originally saved the scripts in /Library/Scripts// then moved the folder to ~/Library/Scripts/Applications// without quitting FastScripts.

I'm sorry for the false alarm.
  • Thanks for the update. Ideally moving the folder would not cause any weirdness, but I'm glad that quitting and restarting fixed it!
  • I've been having similar problems recently after moving to a new MacBook Pro. I now regularly find that after a while, keyboard shortcuts either stop working or trigger scripts in another app. Quitting and relaunching FastScripts cures the problem for a while, but then it returns. Recent entries in the console logs are shown below in case they're of use (though it doesn't look to me as if they're related).

Thanks,

Richard

12-5-11 7:28:38 am FastScripts[191] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetDisplayBounds (display 2b38570d)
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am [0x0-0xe00e].com.red-sweater.FastScripts[191] Thu May 12 07:28:38 Azure.local FastScripts[191] : kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetDisplayBounds (display 2b38570d)
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am FastScripts[191] kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am [0x0-0xe00e].com.red-sweater.FastScripts[191] Thu May 12 07:28:38 Azure.local FastScripts[191] : kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am FastScripts[191] _NXGetScreenRect: error getting display bounds (1001)
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am [0x0-0xe00e].com.red-sweater.FastScripts[191] Thu May 12 07:28:38 Azure.local FastScripts[191] : kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetDisplayBounds (display 2b38570d)
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am FastScripts[191] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetDisplayBounds (display 2b38570d)
    12-5-11 7:28:38 am FastScripts[191] _NXGetScreenRect: error getting display bounds (1001)
  • Hi RJPC - those don't look particularly related to me either, though I admit those are a variety of console log message I'm kind of confused about. I see them sometimes in my other apps, too, but I have assumed they are symptoms of a wider, system-level meltdown.

Usually when I see messages like that, I reboot, and they go away for a long time. If you haven't tried rebooting recently, can you try that and see if it helps?
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!