Testing with Drupal 5
  • I did it!!!!

Set "WordPress" as Software. "Drupal" can't grab categories.
    XML-RPC endpoint file is "example.com/xmlrpc.php" (This is nothing special.)

In this way, in "Options", MarsEdit can get "filter" information from my Drupal installation. "Filters" are equivalent to "Formatting" in the WordPress world. Also, "Comments" work for both "Open" and "Closed.
    Posting with some categories selected work as well.

Don't be confused with formatting for preview and formatting in the Options in editing a post.
  • Good to hear, Takaaki. Thanks for letting us know these hints!
  • Daniel, it would be really cool if you could please fix the default Drupal setting to work correctly on a default Drupal install. :)

For what it's worth, I'm using it set as Movable Type, and it works okay...but it would be really nice if the taxonomies/categories worked properly, and stuff. I don't think the auto-detect worked properly last time I tried it on Drupal.

I think it would also cut down on the confusion when someone tries the Drupal setting, only to find it doesn't work, and there are hacks all over the web for getting Drupal working with MarsEdit.

I'll give the WordPress setting a try though, thanks Takaaki!
  • Hi Flammable - do you think setting the "Drupal" default settings to more closely match the "Wordpress" settings would do the trick? I'm sorry I just haven't had a lot of time to look into this so it's sitting on the back burner.

If the Drupal settings are woefullly out of date right now then I definitely want to update them, I just don't have a lot of expertise with Drupal myself.
  • Totally cool. I'm primarily a WordPress user myself, I just play with Drupal a little (not an expert, either). I'm hoping someone else here knows the technical details of Drupal, it would be nice to see the excellent integration MarsEdit has with WordPress extended to Drupal. Otherwise, maybe someone from the Drupal team would be willing to lend a hand? It would cut down on topics in their support forum, I'm sure.

If you search for "marsedit drupal", you'll get all kinds of tips on how to set MarsEdit for the "best" settings for Drupal...careful, though, I don't think it all works anymore for the current version of Drupal - version 5.1.

Unless something major has changed in the past couple of months with MarsEdit and Drupal, yes, it is very much out of date. It appears that Drupal has changed things several times, though, so I can understand why. There was even a module in the last major version of Drupal, 4.7, that made it mimic Movable Type, Blogger, etc., but I couldn't get it to work correctly.

Setting it as WordPress works better, but all of my categories are presented in a flat list...whereas I've broken up my categories into sets within Drupal. Not sure how you could present that within the drawer. Very nice to see the formatting options in there, though, even if tags like BBCode (added via a module) aren't recognized. I'm not even sure if that would be possible. But this is definitely a big step up. :)

Thanks again for the tip, Takaaki, and I really appreciate the consideration, Daniel. So good to see MarsEdit so alive! :)
  • Yup. Drupal 4.7 and 5 are totally different. Both have blogapi built-in. However, while Drupal 4.7 has settings for Blogger, Movable Type and so on, Drupal 5 has no setting for it. Drupal 5 uses MetaWeblog-API.

I haven't dug into categories. So hiereachical structures may collaspe. As Drupal is entirely flexible. Supporting all the modules is almost impossible. But, getting categories hierachy might be the next step.
  • Coincidentally, an article I wrote is I think third on that Google search, about getting MarsEdit working with Drupal 4.7. :) I've only just begun preliminary planning on creating Drupal 5.0 prototypes for the various 4.7 sites I run, so it's going to be a while yet. I expect somebody will get around to it soon.
  • So I spent the better part of the day today catching up with my Drupal knowledge. I installed both 4.7 and 5.1 on my Mac and tested extensively with MarsEdit.

Then I got lucky and ran into some really helpful Drupal developers on IRC, who totally straightened me out with regard to my Drupal understanding.

MarsEdit 1.1.6 will have a much better default for Drupal, and will include a dedicated help page explaining how to set things up for even advanced features like editing stories and pages.

(For those who can't wait - the summary is basically you just set the blog ID to "page" or "story" for a "weblog" that updates and adds to those sections).

Daniel
  • You could find a Drupal documentation team so that MarsEdit setting is explained in their documentation.

A few other clients are shown here : http://drupal.org/node/6269 .
  • Wow. Thank you so much for doing this! I'm very much looking forward to 1.1.6. :D
  • Hey all - let me know how MarsEdit's new Drupal settings work for you in ME 1.1.7! Available now.
  • I haven’t tried the new changes but given the hits I’m getting, my site has some of the pages that might have been mentioned in this thread. (I do appear in the first page of Google hits for “drupal marsedit”, fwiw.)

Anyway, the online help for MarsEdit 1.1.7 is a welcome change. You might want to make one note, that you could use either “blog” or “story” as the blog ID for a setup. I’m using “story” in my single-author blog; I don’t use the blog content type in Drupal and everything works swimmingly. The main difference, as far as I can tell, is whether “blog” appears in the URL path.

By the way, is there any change to the way entities are handled in the post title now? That’s been a sore spot for me; I can’t round trip titles with entities between MarsEdit and Drupal 4.7.x.
  • Jaharmi: Thanks for the feedback. I will look at making the possibility of using "story" more obvious in the docs. It does mention it if you notice at the end under "advanced editing." I figure the majority of users will just want to get things up and running with the default "blog" options.

I haven't done anything specific to tackle the problems of entities in titles, yet. I will try to get to this soon.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • Absolutely no problem on the entities; I was just curious.

As for “story” it’s just an alternative to “blog” as an ID for single-user sites.

The current pace and kinds of change on MarsEdit is nice to see. Using it along with the WordService.service (for the typographer’s quotes) is really helpful. Great work and congrats on acquiring the app!
  • Thanks - yeah I think I understand the "story" vs. "blog" thing ... it's just I'm not sure it's worth going out of the way to explain it to users in the documentation, since anybody who doesn't want to use the default "blog" will probably be able to easily figure it out.

Thanks for the kind words - I'm glad you're enjoying the progress that is being made.
  • Thanks for working to update MarsEdit for Drupal. I had been testing it and had been frustrated by the prior inability to send the category info. Switching to 116 seems to have fixed that problem. My category selections now get correctly transmitted to my Drupal site. And the category list was correctly downloaded when I first updated the config info to drupal after an upgrade. But now I seem to have found a small new problem. I have added new categories at my site but can't seem to get the list in MarsEdit to update. I have tried the refresh option(which used to work) and the full autodetect settings option usually used at site config time. My old categories are still there and work, but the new ones have not been added. I'm guessing if I do a full delete and recreate, the site info the site info will reload from scratch, but I'd love the refresh button to update the category list again. BTW refresh does seem to refresh the story list but not the category list.
  • Hi MacRonin - glad to hear things have improved with the updated version.

One step short of deleting and recreating, it should be safe to add a "new blog" of a different name from the old one, but put in all the same details (e.g. RPC URL etc) and test whether doing so changes anything.

One thing to look for is in the RPC Console (From the Window menu), clear it and then Refresh again. You should be able to scroll through and find the answer to "mt.getCategoryList" ... does the category you are expecting show up in there? If not then it's a question of why Drupal isn't including it.

Feel free to paste the contents of that RPC Console (the part with the mt.getCategoryList especially). By the way which version of Drupal are you running?
  • Hmmm, I just did the REFRESH test and didn't even see a "mt.getCategoryList" inquiry. I did see plenty of "mt.getPostCategories" at least one of which did have one of my new categories in the list(I added the category at my website)

I am(planned on but can't - Askimet) including the full RPC window log from the REFRESH command, but have replaced my UserID and site address with dummy strings. I am running Drupal 5.1 on php4 & Apache 2

It seems that Askimet has declared my post to be SPAM and won't let it thru. (to many links or bad grammer)
  • Thanks MacRonin. I think I found a bug in the default handling for Drupal in MarsEdit. Can you try switching the "Software" popup from Drupal to "MovableType" and let me know if that fixes the problem?

If so, I know what the issue is, and it will be addressed in the next update of MarsEdit.

Thanks for reporting this!
    Daniel

PS It should be harmless to run as "MovableType" ... that's essentially what the defaults for Drupal *should* be causing to happen.
  • From what I can tell MarsEdit is not not getting category list anymore. I Created a new entry pointing to the same blog and ended up with no categories when I open the option list. It did successfully DL the old posts and they did have category TAGs but they are only visible when looking at the list of posts. Nothing shows up in the Option/categoies window/tab when you open it for either a new post or an old one. The original site seems the same.

Here is part of the RPC window log. That apperas to show a list of the commnads/requests entered.
    I screwed with the URLs to get past Askimet

RPC message sent: 2007-03-28 13:32:47 -0400
    URL: ht-tp://-www.Example-.com/xmlrpc.php
    Method name: mt.getPostCategories
    Method name: mt.supportedTextFilters
    RPC reply received: 2007-03-28 13:32:48 -0400
    Status code: 200
    Succeeded: YES
    Request text:
  • I had kept the forum window open while I ran my second test and didn't see your post till I sent mine.

I just modified my testsite-config to be MovableType and it did DL the entire correct category list and it was also accessible when creating a new post.unlike my above test which had no entries after a DL
  • Great news. After the next update of MarsEdit you should be able to switch it back to Drupal. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • No probem. Its just great to see work progressing again.

Now I just have to go back and try and remember the feature requests that have wandered thru my head ;-) For example it would be nice to be able to post an entry to more than one blog. The easiest way to implement would probably be an additional button which did a "Post to blog & save as Draft" You could then go in the draft folder and change the target blog and post again. It doesn't happen often, but would be real handy when it comes up.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. It does seem like kind of an edge case - so I would want to be careful not to cloud up the interface too much just to accommodate it.

Something that would probably be of utility to you would be to write a "Clone Post" script for the scripts folder. It would simply start a new post using the contents of an existing post as the data. If you're not comfortable enough with AppleScript to tackle this, but think you might use it, let me know and I'll throw something together.

Daniel
  • Thanks for working on Drupal - nice to get some Drupal lovin instead of focusing on just Wordpress.

I don't know if I've missed something but I didn't get Categories to work as prescribed. I set my Drupal blog (4.7.something) to Moveable Type API, but I still had to set Mars Edit to Moveable Type too. When it was in Drupal mode it would download the categories - but wouldn't let me edit them.

.../

Damn... I thought I would switch back to "drupal" mode and see if I could check something. But of course the categories are working fine now as prescribed...

I'll try another blog and check.
  • Michael - I think there is a subtle bug in Drupal support, where it sometimes loses its knowledge of all the MovableType features. This explains why it seems to have failed and then started working again. I'm have what I think is a fix for this in 1.1.8, but until that is released I recommend sticking with "Movable Type" as the choice in MarsEdit for your Drupal blog.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!