500 error when trying to upload images
  • Upgraded to v3 recently. Tried to post today with an image for the first time. Not sure I like the new interface for the Media Manager. From reading other posts here, I finally found the alternate Upload Utility. (Is there any way to get a shortcut icon for that on the toolbar? That would help alleviate my frustration, but I don't see that option in the Customize Toolbar window.)

    I can't make the new Media Manager work. When I select an image there and then attempt to publish the post with image, I get this error:

    “The post could not be published because of an error while uploading one of the attached files.unexpected response code 500.”

    No clue what that means. If I use the Upload Utility, the image uploads just fine and then I can post to my blog.
  • Hi Rod - it's interesting that the upload fails only when uploading with the post, because it should be doing the exact same thing as it does when you upload via the Upload Utility window (only it does it automatically only when you are about to publish the post).

    Usually the server responds with "500" if it has some internal problem, and it often doesn't share any more details than that. If you can consistently reproduce the problem, will you capture the network log so I can see more closely what the server is saying.

    1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to send to the blog with attached image again from MarsEdit.
    5. Save the network log and send it to me as an attachment: support@red-sweater.com

    Thanks!
    Daniel
  • Hello,

    I am experiencing the same problem/error message.

    Was there a solution to this?

    Thanks!
    Mark
  • Hi Mark - I don't know if Rod's problem was resolved but the solution is often very particular to the details of each person. So I have the same request for you, to capture the network log as described to provide more details about the problem.
  • I found in my case it was a server backend problem with the server using PHP4 instead of PHP5. I use 1and1.com webhosting. The fix for me was to go into the root directory for my blog and add a .htaccess file with these lines

    AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

    In short, this forces 1and1 to use PHP5 instead of PHP4 to interpret the scripts used to upload the images.
  • Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this will come in handy for other users who run into a similar situation.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!