Image Resize (Blogger)
  • Hi,
    I am new to MarsEdit, switching to think because I am tired of the limitations by blogging using email-to-blog.

Usually I will blog photos at 600 x 450 pixels. On my main blog page, it will show a smaller thumbnail size. Clicking on it will load the larger 600pixels image.

I just published a test post using MarsEdit. The image will appear as it is in my blog in its full size but cropped due to the layout width.

Is there anything I can set / do such that posting via MarsEdit will create a thumbnail version of the images in main post?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Hi - sorry for the long delay in responding to this.

MarsEdit doesn't support the ability to "auto-thumbnail" images, but it does let you choose what size of image should uploaded and inserted into the post. You can see the sizing information when you are e.g. browsing images in the Media Manager, or when choosing a file with Upload Utility.

I hope to improve image management further in future updates.

Daniel
  • As a Windows user currently trying out Mac, there are still quite a few things that frustrate me about OS X and the software ecosystem it supports. One of the biggest concerns I have is around blogging software. I've been looking closely at MarsEdit, Ecto and numerous others, and it amazes me that there is nothing that comes close to Windows Live Writer in terms of ease of use and fulfilling my needs. Yes, some people at Microsoft can produce good software! And it's free (but Windows only of course).

When inserting an image in WLW, it resizes the image to however big you want it to appear on the blog page. However, there is also an option to link it to a larger image, which is uploaded along with the smaller version when publishing. The larger image can be one of a number of preset sizes, or the original image. These settings can be saved as default so they are automatically applied when inserting an image. To me this is ideal - blog pages load fast, but friends and family can link through to the original image if they want to print. The only downside is there is no option to upload to Flickr with this method, it uses the blog site's own hosting.

I'm sure there are many features of MarsEdit that blow WLW out the water, but for now I'm sticking with WLW, and its one of the main reasons I'll keep running Windows on my Mac (using VMWare) for the foreseeable future.
  • Hi there - sorry for the frustrations. It's true that WLW is a great application and a tough competitor even on another platform :)

I can only say that I appreciate the desire for things like this (automatic image thumbnails). Unfortunately it's just me (one guy) developing the software so I can't move as quickly on the feature front as a big company like Microsoft with tons of employees. Still, I aspire to meet all the needs of WLW "refugees" at some point in the future!
  • This issue really bit me in the but today. I uploaded pix of a product I was reviewing and they were 4000 pixels wide even though I told them to be 600 pixels wide. I really like MarsEdit, but until this can get fixed I cannot use it. So let me know when it is and I will buy. I'm subscribing here so you can just respond to this post when you add this feature.
  • kapurcell: I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience. It's not easy for me to tell from your description of the problem what exactly went wrong. What you seem to be looking for: that the image should be 600 pixels wide and not 4000 pixels wide, is something that should work today in MarsEdit 3.

The issue this thread covers is MarsEdit's inability to automatically uploaded images of two different sizes.

If you have a situation where you are specifying a small size but the image is still uploading at e.g. 4000 pixels (full sized) then I would be curious to hear more about this situation because it's a bug that I am not aware of.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • kapurcell said:
    This issue really bit me in the but today. I uploaded pix of a product I was reviewing and they were 4000 pixels wide even though I told them to be 600 pixels wide. I really like MarsEdit, but until this can get fixed I cannot use it. So let me know when it is and I will buy. I'm subscribing here so you can just respond to this post when you add this feature.

Feature works fine for me, and has done since the release of version 3.0. Sure you aren't doing something wrong or it's your blogging platform ?
  • What details would you like.

I used MarsEdit to post to our blog. I took the pix with my digital camera and they were 4000 x something. I chose them using the Media insert tool and took them from my iPhoto library. I specified them to be 600 pixels wide and hit tab so the other figure was adjusted automatically. I then posted the item with status as a draft so I could finish editing in WordPress, which is required for a number of reasons - thinks like featured image had to be chosen and I have an editor that has to do a final look-see before I post it.

He didn't notice the size of the images and hit publish in WordPress. I went to check the post and then get the link to tweet it and noticed the pictures were loading very slowly. I then checked them and all of them were still 4000 pixels wide.
  • kapurcell - thanks - it sounds like you're doing all the right steps. For some reason it sounds as though the image MarsEdit is uploading is the original instead of the resized one.

It's hard to imagine how this would happen, but I wonder if it could have something to do with the fact that you're publishing as a draft first, or with the particular image in question. Do you think you could send me a copy of the image (or one of the many images you've noticed the problem with)?

I am going to play around with publishing attached images as draft posts. Maybe there's something funky there.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!