Wordpress tags
  • I've evaluated two new pieces of software today. One had a quirky interface, bad help and was difficult to figure out. The other was Mars Edit 3. I shall be licensing soon I think.

On my first post I was pleased to see how easy most tasks were - except one. When I tag my posts in the Wordpress backend, I can pick from a list of my most common tags. I use this every time to ensure there are meaningful tags that refer to more than one article, rather than tags unique to each article.

Any chance Mars could fetch that list (or even a complete list)?

Another option might be "recent tags", seeing as you've already fetched a bunch of recent articles and their tags are already shown.
  • Hi - glad that you are mostly enjoying MarsEdit. It is not currently possible to choose from existing/popular tags in MarsEdit, but adding that feature is on my TODO list.

Although you can't choose from existing tags, MarsEdit will keep a memory of tags you type *in MarsEdit* and will offer to autocomplete your typing in future posts that have reused tags.
  • I'm about the buy your software as well, seems the best offering available for Mac desktkop. But tags are extremely important to me too, ideally the tags I've created and managed for years on Delicious. As MarsEdit is aware of
  • Hi demianturner, something is wrong with my forum software and causes the ends of posts to be cut-off sometimes. Can you repost your question? I'm sorry.
  • I had a double quote right at the point where it got cut off, that's a very primitive PHP coding error if that's what's causing the problem. Here again, without quotes ..

I'm about the buy your software as well, seems the best offering available for Mac desktkop. But tags are extremely important to me too, ideally the tags I've created and managed for years on Delicious. As MarsEdit is aware of tags that have been entered within the app, would it not be possible for me to update a plist file or equivalent with my tags so they are recognised?
  • Thanks for reposting. I am excited to learn about your discovery that there was a double quote there. By double quote do you mean the standard "quote" characters as I'm using here? Or something else? I tried to reproduce but wasn't able to.

Anyway, back to your original inquiry, it is technically possible to tweak the list of tags that MarsEdit knows about. Since it sounds like you're comfortable editing the plist file, the one you want to look at is in:

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit -> DataSources.plist

You'll find a top level dictionary for each blog you have in MarsEdit, and within each a field called "MEPreviouslyUsedTags".

It probably goes without saying that this is "not supported", but if you are careful and follow the structure that is there, it should be safe.
  • Yes I meant the standard "quote" characters. I had hit "preview" before, perhaps that killed the post (on the resubmission). Also it made me enter a captcha twice ...

Anyway, thanks for your quick answer. Glad there's a workaround for tag memory, just grabbed my copy from the Mac AppStore, looking forward to giving it a whirl.
  • Hi Daniel

I wrote a short blog post that could be of interest to your users describing how to sync MarsEdit with Delicious tags: http://demianturner.com/2011/01/importing-delicious-tags-into-marsedit/

Thanks for your help! On another note, I was searching the archives for info on a plugin architecture for MarsEdit, is this something that exists? Ecto seems to have done this quite well.
  • Nice writeup! I am glad it worked for you.

There isn't a plugin architecture for MarsEdit, yet. This is one of my long-term goals for the app, to add a plugin model and invite people to develop plugins for it.
  • Thanks for the hints about the quotes and message text getting cut off. Since I have *never* experienced the issue myself, I wonder if it does have something to do with the captcha involvement. I'll do some more research.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!