XML-RPC Response Parsing Failed
  • Hi, all

Recently I changed the domain of my self-hosted wordpress blog, everything seemed OK until one day I tried to use MarsEdit to post a blog. When I deleted all the old site info and tried to add a new one, it seemed fine, then I refreshed the recent post, it returned me an error:

Can’t get recent posts for ss1271的奋斗 because the server reported an error: XML-RPC Response Parsing Failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. expected '>'

Could you help me with that?

thanks in advance!
  • HI ss1271 … this will be easier to diagnose with a network log. You can post it here or send it to me if you want to be a bit more private: support@red-sweater.com

If you can capture the network log it might help me to pinpoint the problem.

1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to refresh the blog again from MarsEdit.
    5. Copy the network log contents.

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    HI ss1271 … this will be easier to diagnose with a network log. You can post it here or send it to me if you want to be a bit more private: support@red-sweater.com

If you can capture the network log it might help me to pinpoint the problem.

1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to refresh the blog again from MarsEdit.
    5. Copy the network log contents.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, I mailed the network log to you.plz check!
  • Thanks for mailing the log. The log shows that something is going wrong on your blog and it's causing it to print out extra characters before the blog response, which messes it up.

This kind of error usually means that something is messing up the responses from WordPress. It's often a "bad" or out-of-date plugin that causes inappropriate stuff to be printed out in the responses.

I would try disabling all your WordPress plugins and see if the problem goes away, then enable them again one at a time to see if that improves things.

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Thanks for mailing the log. The log shows that something is going wrong on your blog and it's causing it to print out extra characters before the blog response, which messes it up.

This kind of error usually means that something is messing up the responses from WordPress. It's often a "bad" or out-of-date plugin that causes inappropriate stuff to be printed out in the responses.

I would try disabling all your WordPress plugins and see if the problem goes away, then enable them again one at a time to see if that improves things.

Daniel

OK, i'll try it right away

a million thx for your help!
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Thanks for mailing the log. The log shows that something is going wrong on your blog and it's causing it to print out extra characters before the blog response, which messes it up.

Daniel

I disabled all the plugins I got on my blog
    and hit into MardEdit to refresh, but still got the same problem...

And then I tried to disable all then activate all, but still the same problem...

Any ideas?

Cheers
  • The only other thought I have is I wonder if there is something wrong with your blog software that it has been corrupted by one of the plugins. Are you up to date with the latest version of WordPress? It might be worth updating if you haven't done it recently.
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    The only other thought I have is I wonder if there is something wrong with your blog software that it has been corrupted by one of the plugins. Are you up to date with the latest version of WordPress? It might be worth updating if you haven't done it recently.

Well
    I did that update and i'm sure i'm using the latest version, but I changed my domain recently...could that be the problem lies?
  • I have a similar problem. I am a new user of MarsEdit (i bought it yesterday!). I have two WP blogs (on my own websites). I activated one of them on MarsEdit (after checking the XML-RPC option), it downloaded the content fine. I wrote a post, posted it: everything was fine, despite the fact that I am using an old version of WP (below 3), for reasons connected with the server. Nevertheless, no problem with MarsEdit.

Then my other blog: there I have the latest version of WP installed. I followed the same procedure, but then each time I try to download the existing content in MarsEdit (17 posts), I get the following error message:

Can’t get recent posts for .... because the server reported an error: XML-RPC Response Parsing Failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. PCDATA invalid Char value 31

I attempted to purge the network log, started again. same problem.

How can I spot that invalid character? What should I search for in my network log? I have attempted to search for
  • ss1271 - it doesn't seem like the domain name change should be a difference, but I took a closer look at your site and I see that the "bad spaces" are happening, it seems, on every page on your site. So I think the question needs to be asked of your hosting provider: why are extra spaces being printed when pages on my site are loaded? For example, load your site's home page in Safari or another browser, then "View Source" to see the page content, and you'll see there is a blank line at the top of the site. I believe this is being inserted by something on your web hosting provider's services.

Viator - This problem is probably a bit different than Viator's. Sorry your post got cut off, I'm still trying to fix the forums to fix prevent this problem.

The invalid character is probably "invisible" making it harder to find. I usually copy the network log over to a program like Bare Bones's TextWrangler, which is free, to try to find it using the "Zap Gremlins" feature. If you send me a copy of the network log I can search for it for you.

Daniel
  • Thank you for your remarks, Daniel! I have just attempted to use the ZapGremlins function (I didn't know there was something like that! anyway, I tend to use PageSpinner when I need a text editor): the problem is it "zaps" the gremlins instead of showing where they are. And the first thing it does is to remove all the accented characters - my blog is in French. However, the accented characters shouldn't be the problem: otherwise, the same problem would occur with the other blog, that is in French too.

I will take the liberty to email a copy of the log - sorry to disturb you with that, but thank you for your kind support.
  • For the benefit of other users, I just would like to report that I have received amazingly prompt and efficient support from Daniel: minutes after I sent him my log, I received a reply: he had identified the invisible character that caused the problem, and the issue was completely solved.

This ia real, high-quality support! Many thanks! It convinces me even more that I made the right decision when buying MarsEdit!
  • Glad to help, Viator. If you or others who are satisfied by MarsEdit and my support want to help me out, I really appreciate seeing people spread the word about MarsEdit or leaving positive reviews when you get a chance at sites like MacUpdate.com or Apple's Mac App Store if you bought it there.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!