Odd PNG transparency issue
  • I'm using Marsedit 3.1.5 and can't seem to make the background on my png to be transparent. If I use the same png in other applications, like in the stationary in the macmail program, or drop it into one of my webpages, the background is transparent, but when I post to my blogger account through marsedit, the background is always white. The hell of it is that I have made this work with marsedit in the same blog in the past. I'm sure I'm messing something up but I can't figure out what it is, any ideas?
  • I just tested this... If I put the image into blogger directly, there is no problem, so it looks like marsedit is doing something or other to the png...
  • Hi Isaacc7 - sorry this is happening. I wonder if there is an automatic image sizing happening now and that is somehow losing the transparency? Cold you send me a copy of the image in question so I can test it and make sure we're seeing the same things? support@red-sweater.com.

You might try opening up the blog settings in MarsEdit, and under "Editing" -> "Media Defaults", change the setting so that it uploads images at full size. If MarsEdit leaves the image size alone, does the transparency remain?
  • I just changed the settings to upload at full res and that didn't make any difference. A copy of the image is on its way, thanks!
  • Thanks for sending me the PNG … I did some testing and saw some interesting results. Check out my test post, where I included the image twice: once at full size, and a few times shrunk down:

http://sweatertest.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/318/

It seems like the transparency is lost only when I choose "Upload Now" from the Upload Utility window. If I select "Upload with Post" the background seems to be preserved. I need to look into it more carefully but maybe "Upload with Post" will be a good workaround for the problem until I can fix it.

Daniel
  • Interesting. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy:-) I always hit the "upload now" button just so I can see it in the preview. FYI, Marsedit hasn't always done this, I was able to use upload now and maintain transparency back on Oct. 29th. Thanks for looking into it!

Isaac
  • Really glad we have it nailed to a specific workflow. I'll definitely figure out what's going on here and get it fixed soon, hopefully for the next update release.
  • One other thing I've just noticed. If I put any padding-right value in the left alignment properties, the text will no longer wrap on the right side. I've made that coin 100 pixels wide and tall, but with the padding-right attribute, the text doesn't start up again until it's under the picture, leaving a big gap in the text. Without the padding-right, the text is smack up against the coin. Any hints on how to get around this?
  • It looks like I am able to add padding-right to the Align Left markup and it works as expected. Can you show me exactly what you have for the whole markup text in Align Left now?

(I should really put padding in as a default for the align left and right items, not sure why I didn't think to do that.)
  • Here's the code including my addition of padding-right. Did I not do it properly?

#alttext#
  • isaacc7 said:
    Interesting. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy:-) I always hit the "upload now" button just so I can see it in the preview. FYI, Marsedit hasn't always done this, I was able to use upload now and maintain transparency back on Oct. 29th. Thanks for looking into it!

Isaac

BTW, in trying to get around this transparency issue, I used the "upload with post" option for the first time. I never did it before since I was under the mistaken assumption that I wouldn't be able to see the layout before posting. Is there any advantage to choosing when to upload the image? I didn't see any, and since the transparency was preserved, I'll keep doing it the new (to me way) but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

Isaac
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!