Black Ink ignores today's Onion puzzle
  • http://herbach.dnsalias.com/Tausig/av070328.puz

Black Ink does nothing visible when asked to open that puzzle. MacXword works.
  • But then I relaunched Black Ink, it alerted me to 1.0.2, and all's well. Not sure if it was fixed by the new version or by relaunching.
  • Yep - it was the new version. The problem was identified in the release notes:

"Fix bug with puzzles having no value for any of author, title, or copyright"

You'll notice that this puzzle (and others from The Onion) only lists an author name. That was throwing Black Ink off.

Glad for once to have the fix already done :) Credit to another Black Ink user who reported this problem a couple days ago by email.

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Yep - it was the new version. The problem was identified in the release notes:

"Fix bug with puzzles having no value for any of author, title, or copyright"

Ah, I didn't recognize that as being this problem. Developers tend to write release notes that describe the fixes; users only recognize notes that describe the symptoms. (As a developer, I go through this all the time.) I was looking for something like "Fix bug that caused some puzzles to silently fail to open."
  • Point taken - I'll try to keep that in mind as I write release notes in the future.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!