Can't Upload Photos, Publish, or Import Posts
  • I have a wordpress blog, and I just downloaded the free trial of Mars Edit. I put in my blog name and URL and clicked Auto-detect settings. I hit refresh, restarted the application, but none of the posts I have published on wordpress are showing up.

I created a new post and tried to upload an image and get this error message:
    Upload File Error
    Can’t do upload file for Creeper Jess Blog because the server reported an error. The server returned an unexpected response code: 413.

When I try to publish my draft without the image, it asks me for my Network Authentication (username/password). I enter it and click ok, then the same box pops up asking for my username/password.

Am I missing something? Is this a problem with MarsEdit or WordPress? I can't find anything helpful about this on either site.
  • Hi Jessie - I think we sorted this out via email. In case anybody else runs into this, the problem was that somehow for the wordpress.com blog in question, the "API Endpoint URL" had been set to just "http://wordpress.com/xmlrpc.php" instead of being appropriately customized to the specific blog's URL.
  • I had the same issue! thanks Dan for the answer!
  • I think I might be having a similar issue, but I cannot get around it. For the past few days I have received the following error out of the blue: "Can’t post for The Pen Addict because the server reported an error: Invalid request."

I can refresh my blog in Mars Edit and it connects fine but I am unable to publish a post.

Thoughts?
  • My best guesses are that you have a misbehaving WordPress plugin, or you are trying to submit a post that has some kind of bad character in the text that is throwing the blog off.

Would it be possible to disable plugins temporarily, to see if it makes any difference?

Barring that, can you think of anything that changed in the past few days that could have an impact on your blog?

Daniel
  • It is a TypePad blog - I forgot to mention that initially. The only change was the Mars Edit update on 11/28. That is when it stopped working.

Like I said, the strange thing is if I refresh the blog it connects to TypePad fine and pulls down any changes, but when I use send to blog I get the error.
  • You can always try downloading a previous version of MarsEdit to verify whether it was actually related to the updated version. For example you could download MarsEdit 3.3.5 here:

http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/MarsEdit3.3.5.zip

I am somewhat skeptical that the version change in MarsEdit made any difference here. It's more likely to be a coincidence and something changed on your server.

If you can capture the network log it might help me to pinpoint the problem.

1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to refresh the blog again from MarsEdit.
    5. Copy the network log contents.

You might want to email me the log support@red-sweater.com. It can be hard to get the logs to look right here in the forums.

Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel! I will send the log on the next post that fails.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!