Feature Request - local copy of posting (pre-posting)
  • [note: I posted this to the mailing list, too]

I'd like an option to save the text of a post locally, before publishing to a site.

If there's a glitch in the posting process - either with ME or the CMS and the content disappears, all the time I took to create it is wasted.

I had this happen just yesterday - a long entry just "disappeared" in the posting process. Would've been nice to have a backup copy, but I don't want to have to do that manually (copy/paste into a text editor and save).

I haven't had the time to figure out what hiccuped - it's usually a problem with the CMS.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Anyone else in favor of this?
  • I'm planning some enhancements down the road for more general processing of posts during the publishing process. That should help with this type of situation.

That said, there is a feature in MarsEdit now, where it saves a plain text backup of your posts. Take a look in:

[Home]/Library/Application Support/MarsEdit/Backups

Hopefully the long post you lost is available to you there.

Daniel
  • Hmmmm...I don't have such a folder. Here's what I have:

[bullwinkle:~/Library/Application Support/MarsEdit] skd% ls -l
    total 104
    drwxr-xr-x 2 skd staff 68 Apr 10 09:35 Autosave
    drwxr-xr-x 9 skd staff 306 Nov 27 2005 Favicons
    drwxr-xr-x 2 skd staff 68 Apr 10 09:35 LocalDrafts
    drwxr-xr-x 12 skd staff 408 Apr 10 09:35 Posts
    drwxr-xr-x 8 skd staff 272 Sep 22 2004 Scripts
    -rw-r--r-- 1 skd staff 262 Apr 5 08:57 TechnoratiTags.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 6 skd staff 204 Dec 16 2005 TextFilters
    drwxr-xr-x 3 skd staff 102 Aug 23 2006 UploadedFiles
    -rw-r--r-- 1 skd staff 36113 Apr 5 20:59 UploadedFiles.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 skd staff 9146 Apr 9 13:55 Weblogs.plist
  • Hmm - I actually just found a bug - unfortunately the Backups are only working right now if you publish the post with the menu item File -> Send to Weblog :(

So if you published it with the toolbar button, it wouldn't save a backup. I'm going to fix this in the next update. Really sorry about that.

Daniel
  • Ah....

I use the toolbar, of course.

And no reason to apologize - you inherited the code. I should've said something to Brent about this some time ago.
  • Well my "sorriness" was half apology and half empathy :) In any case I do take responsibility for the code, now.
  • I want to echo this. I just lost my second post after keychain trouble.

I'm not here to make a scene but it really sucks when you lose work. It's like 90s Microsoft Word all over again.

I'd like some kind of feature that ensures something gets saved somewhere if I write anything. I got lots of disk space to spare for text drafts but don't have the energy or mind to recreate something I just wrote.

And no, nothing in backups. I use the post button like everyone else.
  • Baron: Can you confirm that you're running MarsEdit 1.1.8? I assure you that if there's nothing in Backups it's a bug, and not because I'm not empathetic to the problem :( But in 1.1.8 the backups should be written every time a post is sent to the weblog, regardless of how it was sent (Button or Menu).

And when you say "Nothing in Backups" do you mean that literally? Nothing? Or just not the one post you wish was there because you just lost it?

Daniel
  • I'm feeling better after a good night's sleep. It probably wasn't worth posting anyway. LOL

I'm using the VOX version so I guess I'm kinda stuck. If this is fixed in 1.1.8 I'll definitely use that.

I do have "something" in backup. It's a test post with some gibberish text so the function is working at some level. I didn't mean a total and complete absence. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Ah! Yes, I didn't really think about the fact that the Vox beta might now be lagging the main builds in some ways. I should post a new update for the Vox beta. Thanks.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!