MarsEdit doesn't take account of daylight saving changes
  • In the UK we moved to BST last weekend and OS 10.7.3 updated the clock on my PowerBook automatically, but MarsEdit continues to use GMT. I can't see a setting in preferences to make it take account of the change. Any ideas?
  • Hi Tom - generally speaking MarsEdit doesn't concern itself with dates or time zones itself, but trusts the Mac to translate from the (hopefully) GMT-based date provided by the blog, to the suitable local time zone on your Mac.

    Can you be a bit more specific about where you're seeing the BST anomaly? Is it that your posts are showing up with the wrong times on your blog, or in MarsEdit itself? Could it be the case that it's your blog hosting software (WordPress?) that needs to be updated instead?

    Daniel
  • Here's a case in point. I wrote this post just now, at 16:19 BST. System time on my Mac is now 16:23, but MarsEdit stamps it 15:19. On the published website, the time is fine: http://www.roper.org.uk/marathon2005/2012/04/death-or-glory.html
  • Thanks, Tom. The thing is, MarsEdit always shows the timestamp as reported by the server. So I suspect what's happening is you're posting to the server, and then it's sending it back with a date that is off by an hour. Perhaps it's applying a DST adjustment or something? It's weird that the time is showing up correctly in the site, but not in what it returns to MarsEdit.

    Anyway if you want to capture the whole process of sending a post and seeing the time show up wrong in MarsEdit, it will confirm or refute my theory that the server is sending the wrong time:

    1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to post to the blog again from MarsEdit.
    5. Copy the network log contents.

    It will probably be easier to send me the network log contents by email instead of in the forums: support@red-sweater.com.

    Daniel
  • Hi there Daniel

    Did you get a resolution to this? I've got exactly the same issue. I run "date" from the command line and it tells me the correct time (20:40). I then send a blog post from MarsEdit and the Network Log tells me the message is sent an hour earlier than what the "date" command tells me.

    I'm running my server on my local machine while I do some development, but by the look of it MarsEdit does appear to get the date without accounting for British Standard Time with daylight saving.

    Let me know if you require any further information.

    Cheers - Steven

    Network message sent: 2012-04-24 19:40:52 +0000
    URL:
    Method name: metaWeblog.editPost
    Network reply received: 2012-04-24 19:40:52 +0000
    URL:
    Method name: metaWeblog.editPost
    Status code: 200
    Succeeded: YES
    Request text:...

    dateCreated
    20120424T19:35:00Z

    ...
  • Hi - I haven't looked into tomroper's issue further because (I don't think - let me know tomroper!) I have received a network log from him yet.

    I can't tell from your editing if the dateCreated value you are looking at is in MarsEdit's editPost request or in the response it gets from the server after subsequently calling getPost? It looks like you're trying to illustrated that it is in the editPost call.

    By default MarsEdit omits the dateCreated field from editPost requests. It will only include a date if you have manually set the date using Post -> Edit Date before sending the post.

    If the dateCreated date above is in the response to getPost, from the "server," then it's probably a daylight saving accounting issue in the blog server (WordPress?). Be sure you have set the time zone correctly in WordPress's general settings, and let me know if you still see an anomaly after confirming everything is set up right.

    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel

    I've switched from Expression Engine to Wordpress and the dates seem to come through just fine now. I'm not sure if this helps or not.

    Steven
  • Thanks - as it happens I looked into the date handling in MarsEdit a little more carefully and I found a bug that might explain the issues with Expression Engine. It turns out that MarsEdit has an issue parsing dates that end in "Z" like that, and I think it could cause it to disregard the time zone altogether. In most cases this could cause a dramatic error, I think, but in GMT I imagine it would only ever mean it was exactly right or an hour off due to DST.

    Anyway, I'm fixing that date bug so hopefully it will address the issue for others starting in MarsEdit 3.5.1 (due out soon I hope).
  • Daniel, no, you're quite right, I haven't posted a network log to you. I have one now, but reading the above it may be that you've cracked it anyway.
    But I'm e-mailing them to you anyway. Thanks for looking in to this
  • Thanks, Tom! I got it. I do think from looking at your log that it's the same issue. I hope you all will just happily see this sorted out with the 3.5.1 update.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!