Feature Requests from a Blogger User
  • Some comments after using MarsEdit with a new Blogger blog for a little over a month (I've registered). I like MarsEdit and am happy with my purchase, but of course I can think of some things I'd called improvements:

Nits
    1. The Options drawer that shows categories (blogger labels) is much wider than it needs to be and can't be narrowed (only closed). I'd like to see it narrower, ideally auto sized based on the width of the content.
    2. Formatting choice in Preview isn't always remembered. I set it to Convert Line Breaks but it doesn't always remember this.

Minor
    1. Rather than the options drawer, I think I'd prefer a blogger-like text field to add labels. auto-completing and comma separated. It's easier than scrolling through a drawer. Maybe under Title or next to the Weblog popup.
    2. When editing a posted post, I'd like blogger linebreaks to be automatically fixed. The script is nice, but I'd like a way for it to happen automatically. Perhaps a way for the user to configure one or more scripts to run when you begin editing a post.
    3. In Attribution prefs, in the template I have "#body#" (including the quotes). I'd like a way to not have the quotes appear if the #body# contents are empty.
    4. With a specific post selected, I'd like a way to open just that post in the browser, or at least copy the URL of a specific post to the clipboard.
    5. I only have one blog so the Weblog drawer for it an drafts is alot of real estate. How about popup on the toolbar to select the Weblog (including Drafts). I'm fine with needing the drawer to add/remove weblogs.
    6. I'm not sure if the API allows this but I'd like the ability to add new categories (blogger labels). It's annoying to have to go to the web form to add new labels.

Major
    1. I think I'd like WYSIWYG editing but I like source view too. In particular it's easier in source to see if I've copied the same URL into multiple anchor tags.
  • Hi - thanks for the extensive feedback. I'm taking it all down and will keep it in mind as I do some redesign for the 2.0 timeframe. In particular, let me respond to some of your points:

- Formatting choice for previews can be set in your blog settings, under "Defaults" - all the way at the bottom look for the Preview Text Filter popup.

- I'm going to be looking at more streamlined ways of inputting categories and tags for 2.0. Blogger's API does allow adding new labels now, I believe.

- I understand the Blogger formatting is frustrating. I'm still thinking about how best to handle this, and I might end up just "fixing" them by default. The last I checked with the Blogger people they were still considering doing something about this on their end, so I have been waiting to see how that pans out.

- I think it would make sense for the "Open Weblog" toobar item to open the specific post if one is selected. In the mean time, there putting the URL on the clipboard:

http://www.red-sweater.com/AppleScript/PermalinkForPost.zip

It could be modified pretty easily to open in the browser.

- I'm always thinking about WYSIWYG as a possiblity for the future. I think there are a lot of other features that are higher on most users' list of priorities right now, so I'm focusing on those first.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Formatting choice for previews can be set in your blog settings, under "Defaults" - all the way at the bottom look for the Preview Text Filter popup.

Never would have thought of that, but yep, it's there and it works. Thanks.

I think it would make sense for the "Open Weblog" toobar item to open the specific post if one is selected.

Well I think they are two different things. Note in the default toolbar now you have it split into post buttons and blog buttons, don't confuse that with a third kind. I'll play with the script when I get a change. Thanks.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!