Can I preview Math Formulas in MarsEdit?
  • I installed a MathJax-LaTeX plugin in my Wordpress installation, which works great.
    I'm wondering if if I can also get a preview of that in MarsEdit itself?

I suppose it would have to have a similar plug-in or somehow make a call to the MathJax CDN?
  • Hi jbruce - I'm embarrassed that I let this question go unanswered for so long. I'm sorry.

MarsEdit doesn't support plugins per se (yet?), but you can get a lot of mileage out of the customizability of the Preview Template in MarsEdit. If you can figure out whether the MathJax plugin is something that works at an HTML/JavaScripts/CSS level, then it might be possible to include the required scripts in your MarsEdit HTML preview template to get the same effects there.

Do you happen to have any idea how MathJax works on the WordPress end, beneath the surface?

Daniel

• MathJax looks like it uses javascript/css magic to render your formulas. It works for me when deployed in wordpress; however, adding the relevant headers to my html templates in marsedit does *not* work. (?). Marsedit preview mode presumably doesn't execute the javascript properly, or fails for some other reason.
  • Count me as another MarsEdit fan who would REALLY like to have MathJax working in the preview window.

I have tried adding the standard CDN request to the header section of the MarsEdit template:

<script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML">
    </script>

I've also tried loading MathJax.js from a local file. And I've tried directly including the contents of that file in the template header.

None of these attempts succeeded.

Let me add that I'm not sure the root problem here is peculiar to MathJax. Other Javascript libraries (such as JQuery) also seem to be ignored in the Preview, even when they are included in script elements in the template. For me, only the very simplest Javascript functions, such as onmouseover handlers, work in the preview window; anything more complex is ignored.

Possibly I'm just doing it wrong. Any help much appreciated.

Brian
  • Bump.

Not using a wordpress plugin for the site. Just using standard CDN request. Works fine online, but not in Marsedit.
  • Hi Joshua - nothing new to report I'm afraid. I will be considering this as I continue to plan features for future updates.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!