Problems of shortcut Keys displayed in menu
  • Shotcut keys displayed in FirstScripts menu are not displayed correctly, when the keyboard layout may be not us-ascii. It works correctly, but displayed characters as a shortcut key is not matched to JIS layout keyboard.
  • Thanks for the message. I will have to figure out how to reproduce this problem. Do you think I can reproduce it on a US mac by changing the keyboard layout or something? I'm a little inexperienced with this.

Does the wrong character show up in both the Preferences dialog and the FastScripts menu, or just one or the other?

Does the keyboard shortcut "work" in spite of it not showing the correct character?

Daniel
  • The wrong characters appear in only FastScripts menu. There is no problem in the Preference Dialog.

For example, I set a shortcut key "Cmd+@" in the Preference dialog. And the Preference dialog display characters as expected. The character "@" in the JIS keyboard is located at the position of the character "[" in the US keyboard. In the Firstscripts menu, the shortcut are shown as "Cmd+[". In spite of showing "Cmd+[", the shortkey "Cmd+@" works.

I guess the FastScripts menu don't consider keyboard layout. All keyboards may be treated as US keyboards. Therefore it may be difficult to reproduce this problem with US keyboard.
  • My gussing may be wrong. It looks that FastScripts respect the keyboard layout setting. But in the case of JIS keyboard, it seems that one more special mechanism exists. For example, The US keyboard layout is configured in Japanese JIS keyboard enviroment, in spite of that the phisical keybord layout is JIS.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know details more. I guess Keyboard Layout Services will help you....
  • Thanks, I think the information you've given me will be enough to ask some questions around the developer community.

I noticed that for instance when I switch to the "Dvorak" keyboard layout the keyboard characters are updated as expected in the menu, so this definitely must be something unique to figure out about the JIS keyboard. I will hopefully be able to post some more information and possibly send you an experimental FastScripts to try soon.

Daniel
  • Unfortunately a problem with JIS Keyboard is not fixed in 2.2.9
  • Yes, this problem has not been addressed yet. Thanks for reminding me. I made some inquiries to Apple but need to follow up on it. I'm not sure whether it's something I can fix or if it's something that needs to be changed in the Apple Menu API.

I will see what I can do. Sorry for the delay.

Daniel
  • I just wanted to post here and confess again that I have yet to come up with a solution for this problem, as of 2.3.

I will keep looking into this, it's just a matter of getting all the information I need and perhaps finding a JIS keyboard to play with.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!