Marsedit and Blogger Formatting
  • My format is fine on mars edit
    It's then lost on the preview.
    On my blog it shows up without paragraphs.
    How do I maintain the formatting so that I don't have to edit the blog on blogger.
  • Hi there - we might need to dig a bit deeper to figure out what is going on here. First of all, can you tell me if you set this blog up recently in MarsEdit or is it one that has been configured for a long time? The reason I ask is generally speaking Blogger blogs behave better if you set it up to use "Google Data Protocol" as the API setting in MarsEdit. This is the default for any newly configured blogs but an older blog may be set up with an earlier standard.

Side note: when you say "It's then lost on the preview." can you please clarify what this means? Do you mean the blog post looks fine in MarsEdit's editor, but looks bad in the MarsEdit preview window?
  • I am having the same problem. The fonts that I've already set up on Blogger (customized template) are being over-ridden by MarsEdit, and I can't correct them even when I go into blogger.
    And it blocks all the text together without paragraph breaks.
    What's the deal?
  • Hi katethemel - Are you editiing in MarsEdit's HTML Text mode or in Rich Text mode? I know of an issue with HTML Text mode, if you are in the habit of writing paragraphs without any HTML tags, and just expecting Blogger to "do the right thing," it stopped doing that at some point in the past few months.

If you are editing in Rich Text mode then MarsEdit generally provides relatively generic HTML to the blog, and it's up to the theme on your blog to decide how that is presented. But when you say that the blocks of text are all running together that makes me think maybe you are running in HTML Text mode.

Let me know how you're using MarsEdit and that will help us to move forward on finding a solution for you!
  • Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for replying. I double checked and I am using Rich Text. If I edit in MarsEdit then hit "update to blog", blogger is not applying the normal customized settings. I tried to go in and see the settings in Blogger, but now it shows an error on the customized template in dashboard. So frustrating!

Another problem I've discovered is that for other blogs, MarsEdit is not able to refresh or bring over recent posts. It gives me a 404 error.

I really think it would have been easier to skip MarsEdit totally and just log onto Blogger to make changes. This doesn't seem worth it.
  • I can appreciate being frustrated in this situation. MarsEdit is a general-purpose blog editor and usually works pretty well with most blogs, but since every blog is different, sometimes there are hiccups. I am happy to help investigate and follow up on what's going on with these blogs, if you're interested. Otherwise, if you are thinking it would be best to just skip MarsEdit and use the Blogger interface, I understand that as well.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!