ME freezes / crashes when I try uploading video
  • Greetings. I am testing MarsEdit prior to purchase, prepping to use it on a Mac using OSX 10.7.5. I am trying to get something that my wife can understand and use to keep her blog updated.

Everything looks great for MarsEdit, except one issue: When I try to upload videos, the app crashes. Doing a new post with jpg is fine. Doing a YouTube embed is fine. But when I try to upload a video either with the post or before the post or using Window/UploadUtility, ME crashes. Freezes. Goes dead. What am I missing?

I would like to solve this before I buy the software. As soon as I understand and can work around the problem, I will buy ME, which otherwise seems like an excellent piece of work. Thanks.
  • Hi Steve - sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I was travelling and fell behind on the forums.

I'm guessing what you're experiencing is based on the fact that MarsEdit's connection to most blogs is not really optimized for very large files. Videos would tend to be larger, and to upload them to most blogs it will take quite a lot of RAM and CPU power to convert them into the (unfortunately) text-based format that is required to upload to most e.g. WordPress blogs.

I'm hoping that blogging APIs (the mechanisms MarsEdit uses) will offer more robust upload mechanisms for large file uploads in the future, but at the moment it's not really possible to support very large file uploads well with most blogging systems.

If you wanted to verify that it's the file size and not just that it's a video per se, you might want to experiment with testing an upload of a very short video, to see if it succeeds in MarsEdit. It's probably the overall file size and not the video aspect that is causing the trouble.

Sorry I don't have a better solution to suggest, but hopefully this will at least put the problem into perspective.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!