Font Bold/Color Hotkey
  • Experts, I have a simple request here that hopefully someone can help me out with. I've got a general template that works great for my initial blog post although there are sections I go back in and comment on the following day. I would like to define an RTF format hotkey that switches the new font to Bold/Red for my follow-up messages.

I'm familiar with the color switch palette hotkey but I'm hoping to eliminate a CMD-B for Bold & mouse click to set font color every time I want to write a follow-up comment on the blog.

What is the best way to accomplish this task in MarsEdit?
  • Daniel JalkutDaniel Jalkut
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there - I think the best bet is to write a custom format macro that will "wrap" the selected text with a strong that that also includes the red style:

1. Open a new post to access the "Format" menu in the menu bar.
    2. Select Format -> Customize (at the bottom of the menu)
    3. Click the + icon to add a new macro named e.g. "Bolded Red"
    4. For the opening HTML use:

<span style='color:red; font-weight:bold;'>

5. For the closing HTML use:

</span>

6. Assign a keyboard shortcut if you wish.
    7. Click OK.

Now you should be able to select text in the editor and choose Format -> Bolded Red to get the desired formatting.

Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel, much appreciated!
  • Brent - I just noticed there are unnecessary backslashes before the quotes in the example I pasted. Those should just be quotes in MarsEdit, no backslashes before them. I'm going to see if I can fix it in the post here.
  • It seems that changing the quotes to single quotes made the forum software a little happier to display it verbatim (in a way that will still work).
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!