My list of features for MarsEdit 2.0/3.0
  • Hi:

Diehard fan user. Point. MarsEdit is for me an invaluable tool to control, post and edit for a mix of MT/WP/Drupal of ...more than 50 websites. I will very happy if MarsEdit 2.0 have:

- A better image support, specially with automatic Thumbnail creation and automatic filetype (from any format to jpg/png with automatic compression selection). A Gallery tool creation based on Flash or Javascript will also very wellcome in 3.0.

- Scheduled post support in Drupal (oh, this will be perfect!!)

- Support for "new articles you dont post" as numbers by side on the site's name (sidebar) and colors/bold on site's window.

- Multiple authors for an unique website (I'll try it, but seems only accept "one user" by website)

- Add the date and time option as button on the toolbar (now is hidden on the menu) and Edit with other text editor (by defect use BBedit). TextWrangler support (it's free) will be greatly appreciated.

- Anidated categories listed as menus in sidebar (fold and unfold)

- Automatic insertion of html with first category selected (Avatar and code specific support based on categories)

- Comments support (read, edit, delete). Maybe an antispam for 3.0 based in forbbiden words will be very appreciated.

- a Button (or contextual menu) to launch on Brownser an specific article from the list.

- a Related links feature based on the backup copies created by Marsedit (inspection tool and drag and drop post to the edit window)

- a "Delete/retire to Draft" option

I think that MarsEdit must evolve from a posting weblog tool to a powerful content administrator tool for multiple sites. It will be the future of the app.

Thank you for Marsedit. Save me the day ... everyday.
  • What do you mean by "scheduled post" in Drupal? As far as I know, Drupal can't do that with default setting.

Do you want MarsEdit to post automatically if you leave the application open? Or, do you want to have a posted/editied date/time that you can enter, and you post the article with a future time?

Also you can choose TextWrangler as your external text editor in Preferences. Does it work for you?
  • Ok, I miss off the TextWrangler option, is my fault. Ashamed a lot.

takaaki said:
    Or, do you want to have a posted/editied date/time that you can enter, and you post the article with a future time??

Thats it. I Try several ways to do it but looks like dont run (maybe for me?). Someone have success?

XiM
  • Hi XiMac - thanks for all the great feedback. I will look more carefully at Drupal's support for scheduled posts (or lack thereof) when I get some free time. In the mean time you could raise the question on Drupal's support forums. What I think would be ideal is if they took the WordPress approach, which is to automatically interpret posts with "future dates" as scheduled posts. In my tests it doesn't look like they do this now.

The image support features are a good idea. Maybe for 3.0 :)

Can you explain what you mean by:

"Delete/retire to Draft" option

and

"as numbers by side on the site's name (sidebar) and colors/bold on site's window."

Lots of your other suggestions are great ideas but obviously will take a lot of restructuring of the application. I will keep them all in mind as I develop new features!

Daniel
  • Hi:

I'll try to make me understand:

If you have a post, for whatsoever reason you need to retire and rewrite, you must open it, save as draft, and then, delete it. Will be possible to do this in a single click?

The second feature is related to accounts that use one (or more) writers use sametime. I take a screenshot for another app that could illustrate the behaviour:

Thanks a lot.

XiM
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    I will look more carefully at Drupal's support for scheduled posts (or lack thereof) when I get some free time.

Hello,

Drupal has a plugin that will allow messages that are post-dated to wait until the date/time to arrive before publishing the article. I think, from a MarsEdit perspective, being able to set the "time posted" would be the most useful. Aside from post-dating, I would find that extremely useful as I need to repopulate my site with a bunch of old posts, and it would be much easier to be able to do that through MarsEdit if I had the ability to set it with the proper date.

.:Brian
  • I'm quite interested. Would you tell me the name of the module (plug-in) (plus URL)?
  • Brian: MarsEdit has that functionality now! Just open any post for editing (even a new post) and choose "Edit Date" from the Post menu in the main menu bar.

I hope to make the date-editing UI more obvious at some point - a lot of people don't know it's there!

Daniel
  • Hooray, thanks Daniel! At some point I will check to see if it's applescriptable.

takaaki, the module you want is scheduler. http://drupal.org/project/scheduler

.:Brian
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!