Inserting Links into a Blog Post - newbie question, sorry!
  • Apologies as this has undoubtedly been covered ad nauseum already but I have not been able to find the information.

I am new to MarsEdit and wanted to include some urls in my blogs. I started a new blog, went to the HTML Tags drop down menu and chose 'add link'. Put in the link and it appeared in the body of the blog in blue with some other letters before and after the url itself. However when I preview it or post it, the url link is not there.

How do you add a link into your blog?

Once again, sorry to be covering old ground. Feel free just to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Dave
    Auckland, New Zealand.
  • Hi Dave - it sounds like you're doing everything right - but why don't you paste here an example of exactly what the link looks like in the editor. Maybe something is getting messed up. You don't have to use a real link if you're concerned about privacy, just try "Add Link" for instance putting in http://www.red-sweater.com/ as the URL to try linking.
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for the quick response.

If I add a link direct from a browser (Opera in this instance, but it is the same in Safari) the url in the editor looks like this:

Blunt - 40Hz: ""

(Via .)

Blunt - 40Hz

This displays the link correctly, together with some text:

Blunt - 40Hz

Blunt - 40Hz: ""

(Via .)

Blunt - 40Hz

Now if I try and add the same link from within MarsEdit, this is what I get:

bearing in mind all I have done is copy the same link into the 'add link' window. It appears that when I do it from within MarsEdit it misses out some of the stuff around the actual link (sorry, I'm not that conversant with html-type stuff).

I am sure I have done something wrong somewhere, but it does seem odd that the same action appears to have two different results. Have a not configured something correctly?

Cheers
  • Yeah - it's OK, it's not your fault - it's that HTML does behave some rather HTML-centric ways sometimes.

When you 'Add Link' in MarsEdit it really expects you to have already selected some text that you want to go with the link. So for instance, if you type out or paste "Blunt - 40Hz" into a document, and then select that text, then select the "insert link" (or paste link), then it will "wrap" the selected text in the link.

Does that make sense, and help at all?

Daniel
  • I should also add that I love feedback like this, because it tells me the areas where MarsEdit needs to be more helpful. For instance, it would be better if the "Add Link" dialog had an area in it where you could type the text. Then it would have been obvious.
  • Hi Daniel

Success!

It is one of those things that's obvious once you know what you are supposed to be doing.

I really appreciate the help. Good to see this excellent product is so well supported.

Many thanks

Dave
  • Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Thanks for giving me a chance to explain it :)
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!