Suggestion: Add-on files repository
  • This is one of those "I think it would be nice" things that may or may not give you a headache should you decide to implement it. You have been warned. :P

Anyway, I think it would be nice if you had a repository on your web site that users could submit add-ons to. These could take the form of FlexTime routines, AppleScripts, etc. that enhance the usefulness of your products. A good (though somewhat poorly-implemented) model for this is Ambrosia Software; they have a repository for all of their games that users can submit files for others to download. It helps foster a community around their products and is a nice service for their users.

Perhaps a better-implemented model is Apple's own downloads repositories, especially the Dashboard Widgets one.

Just an idea (and one that, in fact, I wish most software vendors would consider); take it as you will. :)
  • I think it's a great idea but it's just a question of finding the time to do it. I wonder if there are some open source resources out there that might be a good head start.
  • I don't know of any off the top of my head, and a quick Google turned up pretty dry. There are loads of CMS's and Wikis that could probably be made to do the job, but they would have loads of features you don't need and be lacking in areas that you would want.

I've been wanting to learn Ruby for a while; maybe something like this would make a good starter project to get my feet wet? I've also always wanted to start an open source project...;)
  • Well, definitely let me know if you end up doing something :)
  • What about hosting the add-ons on Google Code?
  • That might be an idea, but of course that would limit it (I think) to only open source solutions. I'm not sure if everybody who would want to contribute would want to commit to that. Also .. not sure if you can host things like FlexTime documents on Google Code. Anybody know?
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!