Full-featured LiveJournal support
  • I've been using MarsEdit for a while now, and find it very pleasant to use for updating Movable Type and WordPress blogs -- much nicer than navigating through web interfaces. I also have a LiveJournal, however, and while it would be nice not to have to launch a separate client to maintain it, somewhat to my surprise, MarsEdit's support for LJ is pretty bare-bones.

Personally, I never use the "tags", "music", or "mood" options on my posts (though of course many do), but I do tune my user picture on a per-post basis, and I would like to be able to post to any of the communities of which I'm a member. Then there are the post security options; again, I generally don't use them, but others use them heavily.

Of course, there are myriad full-featured LiveJournal clients already available for no cost, and chances are slim that anyone would buy MarsEdit just for LJ, but are there any plans to broaden MarsEdit's support for LJ so that those who do purchase it don't have to wrangle two blog clients?

Thanks for a great product!

-- Squiddhartha
  • I'm pro this too.
  • Hi - yes, improving LiveJournal support is definitely on the agenda. I actually have a more optimistic view of things - I do think people would buy MarsEdit just for LJ :) Especially when the support is improved.

I can't promise any specific timeline but suffice to say I'll be working on it as soon as I get the time.

Daniel
  • Daniel, thank you for your prompt reply. I'm very glad to hear that expanding the LJ support is already in your plans. I'll be watching eagerly.

-- Squiddhartha
  • Yeah honestly the biggest thing i'd like to see in this arena is changing the security level of posts via ME (ie friends only, jerks only, girls only, whatever other groups i have set up in livejournal only, and private), that and tags and I'd buy another copy of ME for my three year old brother.
  • Thanks Ash - I'll keep that preference in mind. Probably when I do get the support improved, it's more likely to be "lots of stuff at once" than just a feature here or there. But we'll see when I get to that point.
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Thanks Ash - I'll keep that preference in mind. Probably when I do get the support improved, it's more likely to be "lots of stuff at once" than just a feature here or there. But we'll see when I get to that point.

Just out of curiosity, are you using LJKit? XJournal uses it and has support for everything you could possibly want to do with Livejournal. Both are completely open source, and up on SourceForge. Right now I use MarsEdit to compose my WordPress posts, and then I pull up XJournal when I want to crosspost to LiveJournal (I actually have a valid reason for this, strangely enough).

Great work on MarsEdit 2, by the way. Just downloaded it today.
  • I'm not using LJKit now but I will definitely look into it. The limited functionality with LiveJournal comes down to my using the Blogger-compatible interface. It sounds like LJKit would be a great head start in building more LJ features into MarsEdit.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!