How to Sync EVERYTHING (Blogs URLs, Usernames & Password, Drafts...etc) with DropBox ?
  • Hello,

I've seen numerous posts around the web related to syncing "drafts" accross multiple computers with DropBox.

But how can I sync EVERYTHING with Dropbox ?

An example of things I really need sync'ed are :
    - Blogs list
    - Usernames & Password
    - Every blog configuration
    (I think most of these are stored in the datasource.plist file but I'm not sure...)
    - Drafts, but this part is more or less handled by the numerous posts on the web, whereas I would be happier with an official tutorial from MarsEdit.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,
  • Hi Ben - first of all, unfortunately, I can't officially support any Dropbox syncing, so this is all kind of "your mileage may vary" stuff to try. But for the MarsEdit specific stuff if you really wanted to sync everything you will want to make sure the entire App Support folder is synced:

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit

And the preferences file:

[Home] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.red-sweater.marsedit.plist

I'm not sure if it's possible to get the preferences file to sync with Dropbox but you might try copying the preferences file to Dropbox and making an alias back to the normal Preferences folder.

As for the usernames and passwords, the passwords are specifically not stoerd in MarsEdit's data, for security reasons. They are stored in the Apple Keychain, so if you wanted to be sure that the passwords go with you to another computer, you would need to arrange for Apple's keychain to also be synced to your other computer.

In short: what you're looking for is not really supported with MarsEdit at the time being. I know that is frustrating but I don't have a better solution to offer right now.

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

What is stored inside the com.red-sweater.marsedit.plist ? Do I really need to sync that ?

Ideally I only need the draft + the registered blogs URLs.

Cheers,
  • If you only need the draft and registered blogs, then the Application Support folder should be sufficient. There are some other things like custom formatting macros you may have defined, that reside in the preferences file.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!