No puzzles in list?
  • I downloaded Black Ink from the website. Which apparently is 1.0.4, upon running for the first time I was prompted to install 1.0.5.

    Well 1.0.4 popped up the puzzle list where I could select a puzzle to download. I messed with it for a bit and restarted after 1.0.5 installed. Now when I goto the puzzle list, it is empty. I have no puzzles I can download. All I got before the update was the NYT puzzle.

    I trashed the folder in Application Support called Black Ink, I also trashed the preference file in the Preferences folder inside my Library folder.

    Btw. Daniel. I was there for the Going Indie Cocoa Heads meetup. Great hearing your advice, only wish I had been able to say hi. Maybe next year.
  • Hi - thanks for reporting this! You mean, after you trashed the preferences and application support folders, there are still no puzzle sources? By any chance where you a MacXword user? You might have an old com.advenio.MacXword.plist preferences file laying around, which Black Ink will "absorb" if it doesn't find its own preferences.

    Try trashing that, and the Black Ink preferences again and see if that helps?

    Thanks for coming to the CocoaHeads meetup. It was a shame the meeting ended right as the store was closing so we all had to shuffle out. Definitely flag me down next time you see me :)
  • Anytime Daniel.

    Ok. Just appzapped Black Ink. When doing so, and then reinstalling the Black Ink application in /Applications/ the puzzles show up again. I can open one, no problem. Then the popup for 1.0.5 shows up. I hit the install button and it goes off to download. Once done, it installs and restarts. Opening 1.0.5 results in all of the Puzzles disappearing again.

    Trying a few things.

    I removed the Cache folder in ~/Library/Caches/Black Ink/ . Doesn't fix the problem.

    Already tried removing the plist, no go. Same for the Application Support folder.

    Sounds like it's tied directly to 1.0.5 as 1.0.4 works fine.
  • Thanks - can you take a look at your System Console log (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and see if Black Ink spit out anything interesting after you did the update?
  • Also one more thing - can you take a look and see if you have ~/Library/Preferences/com.advenio.MacXword.plist, and if you do, can you send me a copy of that file? It might be important.
  • All I got from Black Ink were two entries.

    2007-08-01 13:15:21.851 Black Ink[5799] *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (-1) beyond bounds (0)
    2007-08-01 13:25:10.887 Black Ink[5855] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (-1) beyond bounds (0)' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 358850 and selector 'performAfterLaunchActions:'

    Not sure how related it is.
  • Oh such sweet entries they are :( That "objectAtIndex" exception basically means "the train went off the tracks" ...
  • Hmph - unfortunately I don't think the particular console log you pasted has anything to do with your problem - it was just an attempt to open a puzzle file that is no longer on your Mac. Even if I simulate this, it doesn't affect the web puzzles list.

    I'll keep trying. Thanks for your help,
    Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Oh such sweet entries they are :( That "objectAtIndex" exception basically means "the train went off the tracks" ...

    Right right, out of bounds on the array essentially. Doesn't give any hints really on where they happened. Other than Selector "performAfterLaunchActions" not sure if somewhere in there is where it loads up the puzzle entries.

    Question....

    Does SourceArray in the plist refer to the list of web addresses for the puzzles? If so, that is empty in the plist. 0 entries.

    If that is true, it sounds as though somewhere along the line, while updating the entry for Thinks.com maybe the array is getting trashed.

    edit: eh... guess not, when loading up the plist after running 1.0.4 I see nothing about SourceArray in the plist.
  • I reproduced it! Thanks again for reporting this. I will fix ASAP.
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    I reproduced it! Thanks again for reporting this. I will fix ASAP.

    Anytime. Glad you found the bug. Sometimes those suckers are hard to track down.
  • I've temporarily disabled auto-updates for 1.0.4 -> 1.0.5. It's lucky for you it just trashed "the default list" but obviously it would be a bit more disheartening if it trashes somebody's highly customized list :(
  • oh, hadn't considered those ramifications. That'd suck.
  • This has been fixed in 1.0.6, now available from the web site and from Check for Update. Thanks again for reporting!

    Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    This has been fixed in 1.0.6, now available from the web site and from Check for Update. Thanks again for reporting!

    Daniel

    Great. Now I can try this out and maybe purchase.

    Thanks Daniel!
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!