Typing categories
  • Drawers are fine and all, but I would like to be able to type categories. Like "iLif" and it hilites, spacebar checks/unchecks it, etc. I can't focus typing into the drawer.

I would imagine a new UI should be made on new post, so it lets you set a category as part of a default set of steps, etc?
  • 2.0 will offer some improvement in this area (though only for blogs that allow adding categories).

I will continue to work on making things more keyboard navigable after 2.0 ships. I'll probably end up adding fields for categories and tags to the main editor window, where they can optionally be shown along with the title, etc.

Thanks for your feedback,
    Daniel
  • Excellent.

Yes I would like to be able to just tab/space/return through the meta data of the post.

I love that I can command-J to textmate, so I am actually using ME again, but editing inside of TextMate.

Now to add a MarsEdit bundle so I can comand-option-P from TM and have it save the document and post it via ME.
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    2.0 will offer some improvement in this area (though only for blogs that allow adding categories).

What method do you look for? metaWeblog.addCategory or something? I was hoping I could just add new categories and they would work in metaWeblog.newPost. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • It's a WordPress-specific method "wp.newCategory" and for Blogger it's also supported since they implement the Atom interface which makes it easy to add new categories without hesitation.

Let me know if you want more information ... I can't tell by the tone of your comment exactly what you're trying to do.

D
  • Following up: the problem is in the metaweblog-family of protocols, categories are specified by numerical ID. So you can't ever set a category without knowing its ID. To get its ID you first have to add it to the weblog, but the method to add it doesn't exist until WordPress came along and added a new method.
  • Well, my blog is totally custom, so I can just add wp.newCategory to my API. Does ME care that I'm not Wordpress? I think i'm using blogger.deletePost for deletion, so it seems it doesn't care.
  • Hmm - I think it might care, actually. The wp.newCategory method will probably not be attempted unless you look so much like WordPress that MarsEdit can't tell the difference. That means probably adding "WordPress" as a protocol in your RSD. If you are curious look in the RSD link for a Wordpress blog to see what it looks like.

D
  • OK. Its not that big of a deal so I guess for now I'll just live without new categories. I can probably just write an apple script that will interface with my API. I'll have to figure out which will be less work =-) "Wordpress mode" does seem to have a bunch of features that metaweblog doesn't have. So I may end up changing the back end to work like Wordpress in the future.

Thanks for the help. You're responsiveness is exceptional. The software is good by itself, but the Customer Service makes it a steal. Keep up the good work.
  • Thanks! Keep in mind that WordPress is just a superset of MovableType, which is a superset of MetaWeblog. So any work you've done will help you if you decide to move forward to supporting other features.
  • One alternative that MarsEdit could provide, perhaps as an option under an "advanced" tab for the weblog, is to add custom fields which would be sent within the metaWeblog.newPost and .editPost structs. And in turn could be read from those returned by the .getPost and related calls.

Similar to the "flNotOnHomePage" which is there now, a user could add "myTagString" or something similar which would be available to fill out per post under the existing "Title" or "Link" fields.

This would allow custom functionality to be added over and above the standard weblog software features for those people, like tarouszars and myself, with custom weblog solutions.
  • rhuvok - some people have been able to use the "mt_keywords" field, which is defined by MovableType, to accomplish something like this. You might play with this.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!