Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paragraph switches to div after bulleted list

edited March 2014 in MarsEdit
Hi Red Sweater / Daniel,

I am using MarsEdit 3.6.3. I noticed something unexpected in rich text mode, and in raw html mode (shift-command-t) I can see what is happening. I'm typing a post for a WordPress site.

1. Type a paragraph. It gets p tags as expected.
2. Choose format / list / insert bulleted list. Type your bullet items.
3. Hit return twice to exit list mode and return to paragraph mode (or so I would hope).

At this point, instead of continuing with p tags for the paragraphs, we are now enclosing the paragraphs in div tags. I noticed this because div leaves no space between paragraphs but p does leave vertical space between paragraph. Or at least this is how it appears to me inside MarsEdit rich text mode.

Whenever I notice this, I just flip over to raw html mode, change the div and /div to p and /p, and all is well. Hit return to start a new paragraph, and indeed it does start with the p tag.

MarsEdit is such a great Mac tool that I figured you'd want to know about this minor edge case. Thanks for the great software!
Ed Barnard, Cannon Falls Minnesota

Comments

• Hi Ed - thanks so much for letting me know about this! But when I just tested on my Mac I was not able to reproduce the problem. I made a new post, typed a new paragraph, inserted a bullet list, added a few items, pressed return twice, and then added a new paragraph afterward. When I switched to HTML text format the "afterward" paragraph was surrounded by P tags and not DIV.

Do you think you can try to reduce the test case you're seeing to a specific, very small list of steps that starts from creating a new post? For example if you just type "A " then insert a bulleted list and type "B " and then "C " do you end up with a div tag after switching to HTML Text mode?

Daniel
  • Thanks for the quick response Daniel. Now that I am TRYING to reproduce it I'm not seeing it either. I did a bunch of posts yesterday, carefully avoiding the issue by doing double return, up arrow, insert bullet list. The double return leaves me with a blank paragraph below the list.

Today I'll watch myself and see if I can hit the problem. If so I'll let you know! There's undoubtedly some other factor at play, possibly "paste and match style."
  • Okay, I can reproduce it. I'll show the result first as raw html, then give the steps taken.

**begin result**
    <p>here</p>
    <ol>
    <li>step one</li>
    <li>step two</li>
    </ol>
    <div>New paragraph after double return</div>
    <p>Bottom paragraph</p>
    **end result**

Steps to reproduce:

Click New Post. This is set up as a non-split post.

Click the category checkbox.

Type the title.

Start typing in the body: Type a word. This is a paragraph.

Type a second paragraph.

With mouse, move cursor to end of first paragraph.

Hit return, starting a new paragraph.

Choose format menu / list / insert numbered list.

Type list item one, hit return.

Type list item two, hit return twice.

Continue typing. This should be a new paragraph below the ordered list and above the original second paragraph.

Type command-shift-t to look at the raw html. The paragraph after the ordered list is enclosed in div tags.

**end steps to reproduce
    Okay, I just got it to happen doing the above! Hopefully it reproduces for yourself as well!
    Best Regards,
    Ed Barnard
  • Hi Ed - thanks! I logged the bug in my system and will give it a good test soon to see if I can reproduce it. I really appreciate your taking the time to figure out the specific steps to make it happen.
  • Thanks again Daniel :)