Problem with XML-RPC since WordPress 3.8.2
  • Since upgrading to WP 3.8.2 am getting the message the ....server reported an error: XML-RPC services are disabled on this site.

According to release notes for WP 3.8.2 the file wp-includes/class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php has been updated. Could this be the reason? If so, is it a WP core issue or Mars Edit issue?

Thanks
  • Hi there - as a rule I don't believe that XML-RPC are ever disabled anymore by default in WordPress. There was a period of time when they were but the option to disable them was moved to something that only plugins can control. Is it possible you have a plugin installed that could be imposing this option?
  • Thanks Daniel

No plugins installed that could have this affect. It only happened since updating to WP 3.8.2. Others have reported similar issues with other apps. Looks like a WP core issue.
  • Thanks - I think I see what the problem is and it has to do with the documentation changes that were mode to that source file. I'll file a bug if it's not already open.
  • Apologies. The WP 3.8.2 update may have been a red herring. The real culprit appears to be the Wordfence Security plugin 5.0.2 update that was released the same time as the WP 3.8.2 update. Disabling Wordfence fixes the issue. Sorry for the trouble.
  • Daniel JalkutDaniel Jalkut
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks! The funny thing is you got me looking at the source code so I found and reported what could be a similar bug lurking for 3.9 :)

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27746
  • Daniel,

Just for closure on this issue. As pointed out here, Wordfence 5.0.2 (now) has an option to Disable XML-RPC for DDoS protection. Unchecking this allows MarsEdit access.

Thanks.
  • To anybody who reads this, I want to further clarify that Wordfence decided the change was not wise and has backpedaled for the 5.0.3 release so that it no longer disables the XML-RPC API.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!