Block quotes
  • I'm new to this. So please be patient. I'm trying to customize my block quotes so the open and close quotes appear larger. If got the code from here http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-customize-blockquotes-style-in-wordpress-themes/

But when i create a new style for block quotes in MarsEdit. the text does not change, rather the code is added to my post.

How do I do this?

blockquote {
    font-family: Georgia, serif;
    font-size: 18px;
    font-style: italic;
    width: 450px;
    margin: 0.25em 0;
    padding: 0.25em 40px;
    line-height: 1.45;
    position: relative;
    color: #383838;
    background:#ececec;
    }

blockquote:before {
    display: block;
    content: "\201C";
    font-size: 80px;
    position: absolute;
    left: -10px;
    top: -10px;
    color: #7a7a7a;
    }

blockquote cite {
    color: #999999;
    font-size: 14px;
    display: block;
    margin-top: 5px;
    }

blockquote cite:before {
    content: "\2014 \2009";
    }
  • Hi Stacey - thanks for checking in. The deal with this kind of CSS based stuff is it should almost always be incorporated into the "theme" for a blog rather than applied in an editor app like MarsEdit. The rationale is you want the theme to be independent of the content, so you would like to be able to for example change it in the future and have those changes apply automatically to all the existing content.

MarsEdit is all about editing content, and your theme is all about editing the style, or how it looks "in general" on your site. So the changes you are trying to make with CSS as pasted above should be incorporated into the CSS files that make up the theme for your blog on the server.

I realize that is probably not specficic enough to completley solve the problem, but hopefully it will orient you to how you should ideally approach solving the problem of seeing that the the blockquotes on your site look the way you want them to.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!