Setting Default Size for Imported Images?
  • Daniel,

I've got several images in the Media Manager and most are just fine, but one image I have is a logo that's 94x114 but when I insert it into a page it gets sized as 71x86.

I can't see any place to change the default size of the images and I don't really want to mess anything up, but if you could help me out a bit on this, I'd really appreciate it.

I suppose I'd like to just have them go in as their 'natural' size, but being able to scale any image to a percentage of it's natural size is nice too. Right now, I want to know how to stop the wrong size from appearing again.

Oh... yes, using MarsEdit 2.0.
  • There is no setting like this right now but I think it's a really good idea. It would be a good short-term solution for what I ultimately hope will be more advanced resizing options in the media manager.

Thanks for the idea!

In the case of your immediate problems, the best workaround might be to manually edit the image tag that gets inserted into your blog. Clumsy, I know, but you can tweak the width and height there to have it scale the image to your desired size.

Daniel
  • Daniel,

Where does MarsEdit get the size for the image tag right now? It's getting the wrong value, which is why I ask.

I'll deal with this until you update the app.
  • Daniel, FWIW I've seen this behavior on a friend's PowerBook in ME 1.2. Seemed very isolated and I attributed to gremlins. :-) Haven't seen it on my own machines...
  • Oooh! I see Bob - I thought it was just not the size you wished it was on the site.

Jack I think this problem on 1.2 was related to the DPI resolution of the images being higher than the screen resolution.

Bob - if you want to send me the image which causes this problem, I will run some tests. I thought I had fixed the "DPI resolution" issue for 2.0 but maybe there are some lingering issues.

Daniel
  • Just for grins. ... It would be a good idea to have the media manager have a default size and dpi for each blog, or for the application as a whole, then resize larger images to fit the target. ... Smaller images should not be resized up beccause that will make them ugly, but sizing down, would look ok, and fit the images to the eventual web pages on which they will be seen.
  • ijak - yeah that was how I interpreted the original suggestion :) So it's tumbling around in my head now :)
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Oooh! I see Bob - I thought it was just not the size you wished it was on the site.

Bob - if you want to send me the image which causes this problem, I will run some tests. I thought I had fixed the "DPI resolution" issue for 2.0 but maybe there are some lingering issues.

Daniel,

Turns out that by going into the Application Supprt directory and updating the file manually and then editing the plist manually, I can get the image size right.

I think the problem was that I had an original image and didn't like the size, so I made a better one of a different size and then laid it on top of the old image. I think this didn't "take" with MarsEdit, but it worked fine with WordPress. So that was the problem.

I think we can call this closed as you are going to be adding more advanced library features that should take care of this particular issue.

Bob
  • Ah - yeah that explains it. The Application Support directory is "MarsEdit's domain" :) So you gotta tread lightly in there.

Thanks for updating us.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!