Puzzle is done, all correct, but Black Ink doesn't say so
  • Today's NY Sun puzzle featured multi-letter responses in all four corners. When the puzzle was complete Black Ink didn't say it was right, so I tried Solution / Check / Entire Puzzle. Nothing was marked wrong. So why isn't it right?

http://www.nysun.com/crosswords/puzzle_dir/archive_dir/nys070919.puz

Black Ink version 1.0.6.
  • Sigh. Must be another bug with multi-letters ... I'll take a look.

If it's still around can you send me a screenshot of the completed puzzle? That way I can solve it quickly and start debugging :)

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • Or - it occurs to me - you could just send me the finished puz file :)
  • Oh never mind - of course the answers are in the puzzle. Not a NY Times puzzle for a change!
  • I found the bug, and have fixed it. If you want to give it a test spin here is a beta you can download:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blackink/BlackInk1.0.7b1.zip

I would love to know whether you agree the bug is fixed!

Daniel
  • I don't know if Ephraim agrees that it is, but I certainly do. I had the same problem with the Wednesday, August 29, 2007 NYT crossword puzzle, which uses multiple letters. The latest released version wouldn't mark it as completed, but this version -- 1.0.7b1 -- does. Hooray!

And the other neat thing is that when I went to Help -> Support Forms in Black Ink, the very first post happened to be the issue I was curious about, and it included a link to the beta with the fix.

Thanks Daniel!
    Ben
  • Ben: what luck that you stumbled on the forums at the perfect time :) Thanks for letting us know this addressed the problem for you. I'll probably make a public official update soon.

Daniel
  • Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and only thought to catch up on this thread when I had a similar problem again. This time it was Chronicle of Higher Education puzzle (http://chronicle.com/review/crossword/) for September 7th (http://chronicle.com/review/crossword/20070907.puz), which shows all the multi-letter answers as wrong in both the older Black Ink and this new beta.

I just tried the puzzle I first complained about and it works correctly now, so the Chronicle's problem is something else.

"That way I can solve it quickly..." I always forget that you're not a crossword enthusiast and don't dash off these puzzles in three minutes.
  • Thanks I'll have to look again with the new puzzle - it's probably showing a completely different bug.

And ahem ... I would still claim to be a crossword enthusiast, I'm just not quite so good :)

Daniel
  • ephraim: Are you sure it's the September 7th puzzle that has multi-character answers? When I "reveal all" it shows no multi-characters and does correctly trigger the "correctly solved" dialog.
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    ephraim: Are you sure it's the September 7th puzzle that has multi-character answers? When I "reveal all" it shows no multi-characters and does correctly trigger the "correctly solved" dialog.

I'm sure it's the September 19th puzzle. The link from my initial post of September 19th: http://www.nysun.com/crosswords/puzzle_dir/archive_dir/nys070919.puz
  • I'm confused because the 19th puzzle was allegedly fixed by the update, but then you pointed at the Sep 7th puzzle saying it was broken, possibly by another bug.

Is either of those puzzles giving you grief now with the 1.0.7b1 pre-release of Black Ink?
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    I'm confused because the 19th puzzle was allegedly fixed by the update, but then you pointed at the Sep 7th puzzle saying it was broken, possibly by another bug.

Is either of those puzzles giving you grief now with the 1.0.7b1 pre-release of Black Ink?

Sorry, I was too hasty when I should have re-read the whole thread and gotten the context. Yes, the September 7th Chronicle of Higher Ed puzzle has four multi-letter squares, the four sisters from _Little Women_, which is the central answer of the puzzle. If I fill them as multi-letter combos, they're marked wrong. If I use only the first letter, they're marked right but look wrong.

BETH is at the intersection of 24A/14D, AMY at 22A/9D, MEG at 45A/46D, and JO at 43A/30D.
  • Oh - thanks for pointing out where the answers should be. It turns out to be a flaw in the puzzle's answer content. It's missing the "multi-answer" section. So there's nothing Black Ink can do in this situation. The "correct answer" according to the puzzle is "B" not "BETH", etc.
  • I never realized that the multi-letter spots were encoded in the puzzle file. I always thought it just matched on the first of the multiple letters, perhaps because Across Lite only displays the first letter. That's my memory, anyway -- I haven't used Across Lite in ages.
  • Yeah the complete multi-answer is encoded in the file, when the puzzle is done correctly.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!