Yet Another Suggestion
  • Daniel;

I'd love to have FastScripts change the Finder label on scripts with FastScripts hot keys so I could find them in the Finder as well. That could be a preference setting: "Label Keyed Scripts in Finder Windows". Of course if you make which are keyed scriptable, I can do that myself.

Adam

EDIT: Problem solved by Version 2.3
  • Great suggestion, Adam. But I think it could be a nightmare to support turning labels off/on from FastScripts itself, choosing which color, etc. So I like your idea of exposing the information to you via AppleScript and letting you "take the plunge." :)

I will put it on my list to add support for getting/setting the hotkey from AppleScript... then you would be able to run something like:

tell application \"FastScripts\"
    every script item whose keyboard shortcut is not missing value
    end tell

The ability to ask FastScripts for the scripts it is managing has been added to 2.3, but not the keyboard shortcut part. I'll put that on the list for a near-term update. If not the full "keyboard shortcut" attribute then at least a "has keyboard shortcut" boolean.

Daniel
  • Great. I can certainly deal with only the boolean - it's still easy to write a script that chugs through the files in my Scripts folder, asks FastScripts if that script (how to refer to it not clear) has a keyboard shortcut, and labeling the file if it has.
  • If you haven't already looked at the beta for FastScripts 2.3, give it a look. You'll see that FastScripts exposes a "script items" top level attribute, so you'll be able (when I add the "has keyboard shortcut" attribute) to just ask for "every script item whose has keyboard shortcut is true".

Actually for the simple boolean I might be able to get it in for 2.3. Stay tuned...

Daniel
  • Though actually - this discussion reminds me that I'm not presently exposing an easy way of locating the base file for a given script item. Let me add that, too. Thanks for the feedback!

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    If you haven't already looked at the beta for FastScripts 2.3, give it a look.
    Daniel

Where is it?
  • Whoops! Sorry about that ... I should have linked to the blog entry where I announced it:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/180/fastscripts-23-beta-release

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel.

The link for the beta returns an error on my end, can you confirm or deny this pls?

To be clear, that is the link from INSIDE the blog entry that is unreachable.

TIA
    Michel
  • Whoops - yes, thanks for letting me know. I recently switched hosting providers and forgot to move that file over. It's fixed now.

You might have to "reload" from Safari to get it to stop complaining about the missing file.

Daniel
  • NovaScotian said:
    Great. I can certainly deal with only the boolean - it's still easy to write a script that chugs through the files in my Scripts folder, asks FastScripts if that script (how to refer to it not clear) has a keyboard shortcut, and labeling the file if it has.

I have a lot of shortcuts, and I can't always remember them. The latest version of FastScripts solves my problem:

tell application \"FastScripts\"
    set s to script items where has keyboard shortcut is true
    set SL to {}
    repeat with k from 1 to count s
    if k < 10 then
    set m to \"0\" & k
    else
    set m to k as rich text
    end if
    set end of SL to (m & \" \" & name of item k of s)
    end repeat
    set SF to script file of item ¬
    ((rich text 1 thru 2 of ((choose from list SL) as string)) ¬
    as string as number) of s
    end tell
    run script alias SF
  • Cool! Look out for FastScripts 2.3.1 within the next month or so, where I'll be improving this support to include the ability to ask for the keyboard shortcut's value. So you'd be able to, for instance, show the keyboard shortcut in your dialog to help remind you what it is...
  • And at that point, with the shortcut keys available in a script, I can use this (which works now, if I can recall the shortcut or know it)

tell application "System Events" to tell process "FastScripts" to ¬
    keystroke "m" using {command down, option down, control down}

Hopefully, the keyboard shortcuts will be listed as an element in a list for easy grabbing instead of parsing the line.
  • Right now I'm planning on exposing both the "pretty" string, and the character separately, along with boolean attributes like "includes shift," "includes option", etc.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!