One program, multiple entries
  • I have a script full of handlers that enable various sortings in Excel, plus some common code. I want an entry in FastScripts (Excel X doesn't have a script menu) for each handler.

I can do this by making copies of my script, renaming them, and adding code to call a handler based on "path to me". Aliases don't work since the original's path is returned. Symlinks don't show up in FastScripts (which I consider a bug).

Any other ideas?
  • There is an outstanding feature request that FastScripts should support some ability to show multiple items for a single script (with some kind of "ExportedHandlers" handler that FastScripts would call to build a list. But I'm not sure when or if that feature will be implemented.

I can't remember why I chose to disable symlinks. I will reexamine that question. I had a good reason at some point :)

But yeah unfortunately I think you've probably discovered one of the only working solutions. Another possibility that comes to mind is use AppleScript's ability to load and run another script. So you could have one "library" script that each of the little helper scripts loads and calls handlers on.

Daniel
  • > with some kind of "ExportedHandlers" handler that FastScripts would call to build a list

Dunno why, but that feels like a bad idea

> Another possibility that comes to mind is use AppleScript's ability to load and run

Maybe I'll just use a couple of one line shell scripts that call osascript with a parameter. Less headache.
  • That does sound like a pretty clean solution.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!