mars edit is slow --- why?
  • mars edit hangs on me, every few seconds, all the time.

when typing it takes ages for it to "catch up".

when i click anything, it takes seconds to respond and do the action requested.

no other application is running slowly when this happens.

what's going on?

i'm using mars edit on a pretty darn brand new white macbook with intel duo 2 core whatevers and 2 gig of ram -- so i'm pretty sure it's not the machine.

i am using wordpress 2.3 -- my own install.

neither ecto 2 nor 3 alpha are having trouble, and i may well stick with ecto if this doesn't get cleared up.

also, is there no rich text editing window?

(edited to clarify that ecto is NOT having trouble)
  • Hi - there are some things you can do to help me figure out what specifically is going wrong:

Are you running with the Preview Window open? If so, is there a complex HTML template being rendered? Is a text filter selected in the preview window. If so, which one?

Somebody else reported a similar problem, and I think it might have had to do with autosaving. It happens every 10 seconds or so? Is there anything unusual about your home directory. Is it stored on a network drive or other drive that might be very slow to save?

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    Hi

hi :-D

Daniel Jalkut said:
    Are you running with the Preview Window open?

this makes no difference: i have tried both ways.

Daniel Jalkut said:
    If so, is there a complex HTML template being rendered?

no -- an empty window will hardly respond to a click to start typing.

Daniel Jalkut said:
    Is a text filter selected in the preview window.

noop.

Daniel Jalkut said:
    ...I think it might have had to do with autosaving. It happens every 10 seconds or so?

i just did some tests, and it appears to be happening every few seconds, yes.

it seemed like it was pretty much constant before, however, i'll keep an eye on it.

Daniel Jalkut said:
    Is there anything unusual about your home directory. Is it stored on a network drive or other drive that might be very slow to save?

no, nothing like that.
  • By the way if anybody else is seeing this it would help to have more data on what's happening. I am worried that some percentage (hopefully small!) of people is seeing this and I'm not really sure what the cause is.
  • By the way are you comfortable with the Terminal at all? You could capture some info for me if you can run this command while MarsEdit is running, and then reproduce the slowness (within 30 seconds):

sample MarsEdit 30

That will record what MarsEdit is "doing" at regular intervals for 30 seconds, and write a copy to a temporary file.

Daniel
  • Update for those reading along ... I have worked offline on this issue and it's a combination of some inefficient autosaving techniques in MarsEdit, and the fact that bebercarpet has set an unusually high (1000) count for the number of recent posts to fetch for the blog.

I suspect I can make MarsEdit more snappy with huge numbers of posts but it's going to take some gradual performance improvements over the next several releases. For the time being it's still discouraged to load more than the recommened 10-30 recent posts at a time.

Daniel
  • is it possible he has "Live Preview"

I haven't used that feature because of the "may slow down typing"
  • Live preview doesnt slow me down at all... its just more of a resource hog.
  • I know this is an incredibly late entry, but I'm really interested in knowing if this issue was ever solved for MarsEdit 2.x, as it's been plaguing me for a year and a half, in increasing intensity (we are talking a recurring couple of minutes of beachballing while I edit any already existing entry).

Mine is a decent 2007 Mac Pro, no exotics in my home directory, tiny text plus some single link blog entries (size doesn't matter: beachball kicks up a dozen seconds or so after starting edits, which seeems to support the Autosave issue theory), no preview window opened while editing, disabled Flash preview for embeds, and a pretty large number of blog entries stored in the app.
  • Hi Snafu - sorry to hear it's still affecting you. It has been a while since I looked closely at performance problems specifically with MarsEdit 2.x but if you can get a sample of the app when it's lagging, it should help me understand where the hang up is.

1. Reproduce the hang.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from /Applications/Utilities
    3. Find MarsEdit in the list and double-click it to open details.
    4. Click the "Sample" button in the lower left corner of the details window.

It's important to get it while it's beachballing to be the most useful. This will help me understand where the app is hanging up.

It might be best to email me support@red-sweater.com with the sample log.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!