FastScripts.. stops working
  • I've upgraded to 10.5 and every once in a while, FastScripts just stops responding to keypresses.

The menu still works fine, but no matter what app-specific or global keyboard shortcuts I try, nothing triggers. Until I go to the menu with my mouse and click. Or restart FastScripts.

Any ideas?

- CB
  • I saw something like this during Leopard beta testing but I haven't seen it since. I wonder if it only happens under certain circumstances.

Anybody else seeing this?

Daniel
  • Any word on this? It happens to me quite often, forcing me to quit and restart FastScripts a few times every day.

- Cowboy
  • Hi Cowboy - so far you're the only one reporting the issue, so I haven't collected any additional data.

I probably should have asked you the first time, have you looked into your system console to see if anything is spitting out when the failures happen?
  • It just happened again. I see nothing in the console when I press a (now) non-functional FastScripts key combination. And there's nothing FastScripts-related in the console, in case it logged an error when whatever went wrong happened. At least, nothing that's obvious.

- Cowboy
  • Hmph. I'm at a loss for what to do here. Since I still haven't seen the behavior in 10.5 or 10.5.1, I am not sure how I can debug and find the root of the problem. I'm going to post a blog post about it, and maybe it will bring in some more data about whether it's happening to other people, and if so, if they have any ideas about what is prompting it.

Daniel
  • I got some feedback already about the issue from people who saw my blog post. Another developer pointed me to a forum on his site:

http://c-command.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3502&postcount=3

Where a similar problem has been reported. And in chat with some developer friends a couple incidental "weird things" with keyboard shortcuts have been reported.

I'm suspicious that this might be an issue in OS X that only Apple can fix. I'm going to wait and see if I can gather some more evidence and then open a bug with Apple.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!