Open compiled scripts in Script Editor
  • Moving this topic from the Welcome topic, in which NovaScotian asked:

FastScripts doesn't understand that a compiled AppleScript can be edited by the Script Editor, I assume because the Script Editor no longer "owns" it. Just the same, when I press option while selecting a compiled script in the FastScripts menu, couldn't FastScripts assume that the script could be opened by the editor and try anyway?
  • NovaScotian, the behavior should be as you're describing.

FastScripts actually ignores who is the "owner" of a file, and instead always uses the editor specified by the user to open anything it thinks is an AppleScript. This behavior is debatable - I've considered switching to make the "edit" command simply open the file in whatever application its set to open with in the Finder. That would take the guesswork out of things, at least.

So, in this case the item you're trying to edit must be foiling FastScript's detection mechanism. Perhaps you could send me a copy of the script so I can test it on my machine?
  • Sorry about posting into another thread - careless.

The script in question opens perfectly normally in the Script Editor either by dragging to it or by selecting Open. What may be different is that it's in a folder within the Scripts Folder. FastScripts will run it - it opens normally and does its thing if I choose it in the Fastscripts menu; it just won't open for edit.

I've attached it to an email to you.
  • Thanks, NovaScotian. I figured out what the issue is. It's more than just a compiled script - it's a compiled script saved as an application. FastScripts must be failing to recognize it as a script because it gets recognized as an application first. I wouldn't be surprised if this bug is new from when I added support for launching Applications.

I will look into this and try to get a fix into the next release. I'm in the middle of moving so it will probably be a couple weeks, but expect something soon. Thanks for reporting this!

Daniel
  • Daniel Jalkut said:
    .... It's more than just a compiled script - it's a compiled script saved as an application. FastScripts must be failing to recognize it as a script because it gets recognized as an application first. I wouldn't be surprised if this bug is new from when I added support for launching Applications.
    Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I didn't know it was possible to save a compiled script except as an application, which is what I meant by: "because the Script Editor no longer "owns" it." in my first post. I'm hoping that all FastScripts has to do is try the Script Editor and report an error only when the script app. is run only.
  • Daniel;

=) Thanks for the new version - Fantastic Response - and, it works as advertised. =)
  • Thanks, Nova. Glad to hear the fix works!

If anybody else is being stymied by this issue at the moment and wants to test drive a beta version, just let me know and I'll send it along. This will make it into an official release within a couple weeks - I just don't have time to do a release cycle at the moment.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!