Removing menubar icon
  • Hi,

It is possible to run FastScripts in background (like Spark) and hide/disable the menubar icon as I've already assigned keyboard shortcuts to the applescripts I use.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi - it's not possible, because the menu bar icon is currently the only way to interact with FastScripts. I think if I was going to offer a mode where it could be disabled, I'd need to offer a preference pane or something so that users could "get back in" to turn it back on or adjust settings.

I'll consider something like this as a possible future update.
  • Yes please, that'd be great. I only have a couple of scripts and I have shortcuts assigned to them, so the menubar icon is pretty much useless to (users like) me.

Thanks
  • +1 on this feature. I only use FastScripts for keyboard shortcuts, so this would help keep the menu bar tidy.

Daniel, instead of a preference pane (which I expect would be a lot of extra work on your part), perhaps you could make it so that starting FastScripts when it's already running opens the preferences? I've seen another app do this, though I can't recall which one. Seems like this could be a lot easier to implement.

It's certainly a bit non-obvious, but I think acceptable.
  • Huh - I had this vague memory today that I had implemented a "secret scripting command" for removing the menu. I guess I never did it, but maybe that's what I'll end up compromising with.
  • Having this feature would be useful for me also, any news on when it might be seen?
  • It turns out I *DID* implement a secret scripting command for this.

Run this script to hide the menu icon:

tell application "FastScripts"
    set visible of fastscripts menu icon to false
    end tell
  • Awesome, thank-you! Now to replace "FastScripts" in my login items with that script :-)
  • Menu icon toggle:

tell application "FastScripts"
    get visible of fastscripts menu icon
    if result is true then
    else
    set visible of fastscripts menu icon to true
    end if
    end tell

Only problem is that the current window loses focus when restoring the icon (it's fine when you make it disappear). Any way round that?
  • Hi - I'm not sure what's causing this, but the quickest and surest workaround is to wrap the script in commands that explicitly save and restore the frontmost application:

set savePath to POSIX path of (path to frontmost application)

tell application \"FastScripts\"
    get visible of fastscripts menu icon
    if result is true then
    else
    set visible of fastscripts menu icon to true
    end if
    end tell

tell application savePath to activate
  • That works if I run it from within Applescript, but not when it's triggered from the keyboard …
  • Hmm - sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. I'll add this to my bug list. However, the "hide/show menubar icon" feature is sort of a secret feature and not intended to be a fully supported mechanism. The main purpose is to let people turn it off at all - not really intended to be something that toggles off and on all the time.
  • Yeah, I'm actually happy to have it showing the whole time. Just playing around with it : )
  • Oh, good :) I appreciate the bug report. I'm glad it's not causing you particular grief.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!