Notification of Script Running
  • Sorry to bombard you, but this just occurred to me.

I know that the FS menu bar icon changes color when a script is running, but it would be an added feature if I could post a notification (ideally of my choosing) at the beginning of a script that would automatically dismiss itself when the script was finished.

-- at the beginning of the script:
    display message \"Checking Your IP Address\" at screen position¬
    top right dismissing when script quits
    -- the rest of the script
  • Interesting idea. I will add this to my list of considerations for future features.

As a workaround in the mean time you should be able to save a reference to the message window and then close it manually at the end of the script by changing its autodimiss time:
    tell application \"FastScripts\"
    set myNote to display message \"hello\" dismissing after delay 0
    end tell

-- Rest of the script --

tell application \"FastScripts\"
    set autodismiss time of myNote to 0.01
    end tell

This isn't an ideal setup but it might be useful for now.
  • Works fine, no trouble, solves the problem. I had not previously thought about the property "autodismiss time" and would not have guessed that it would have instant effect (I assumed that delay time was set to stay). I made it a bit briefer:

tell application \"FastScripts\" to set myNote to display message \"hello\" dismissing after delay 0

-- Rest of the script --

tell application \"FastScripts\" to set autodismiss time of myNote to 0.01

I could even craft a little handler to do this: onRunNote(msg, lastTime) so I could display intermediate notes of steps in my sequence by resetting my message and then with lastTime set to true, autodismiss it.
  • Yeah I'm not completely satisified with the dictionary terms and documentation for the "display message" stuff. I am glad it's working for you now with the autodismiss property!

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!