Cannot log in to Tumblr
  • I've had a Tumblr weblog for quite a while now and all of a sudden MarsEdit cannot log in to the account. I deleted the weblog from MarsEdit and tried to add it back. MarsEdit can discover the weblog address, but I get the Login dialog over and over and over.

I even went to Tumblr to see if I was using the wrong email address and password. I was using the proper address and password.

I have a feeling this is something on Tumblr's end. I'm headed there next.

Any recommendations?
  • Hi Rob - thanks for the ping on Twitter as well, it got me started down the path of figuring out what's going on.

Unfortunately Tumblr have unexpectedly changed the behavior of the API connection MarsEdit uses to talk with their servers. I reported the issue and am currently hoping they will at least restore functionality while they hash out whether there are longer-term changes they would like to make to the API.

You can read more about the issue here in Tumblr's developer group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/tumblr-api/jvN2Gk1VaKo

Daniel
  • Daniel,

Thank you so much for doing the followup with Tumblr. I was going to head over there next, but running the business "got in the way."

I figured it was on their end since I know MarsEdit hasn't changed since the last time I used it to post to Tumblr.

Thanks again, Daniel. Your Customer Service is unsurpassed.

Rob
  • FIY I have written up a more extensive description of what's gone wrong and what my challenges are in accommodating the changes at Tumblr:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2603/the-harder-they-fall

If Tumblr is not willing to restore the functionality of their API connection, I am going to be looking into ways of working around the problem in MarsEdit. In the mean time, I apologize for the change of behavior in the app.

Daniel

• Existing Tumblr sites still work for posting, but you can't retrieve posts.
  • Yeah - and another facet of the issue is that when you publish a new post, MarsEdit is not able even to download that freshly-published post. So new posts won't show up in your list for editing, either.
  • Not sure what changed today, but it stopped working all together.

Here is the best endorsement possible for MarsEdit:

I've been switching all the blogs I manage away from Wordpress to Tumblr or SquareSpace (not a fast or simple task), but if Tumblr and SquareSpace don't quickly start supporting MarsEdit again, I will switch everything back to Wordpress.

MarsEdit is more important to me than the platform.

• Thanks for the vote of confidence, Justin. Be aware that Squarespace 5 does still support MarsEdit, so that can also remain an option for your sites that are hosted there.
  • Unfortunately I built the sites during the Squarespace 6 beta. I think they are letting people downgrade, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Any progress with Tumblr?
  • I am making progress with Tumblr and am pretty confident I will be able to share a beta release of MarsEdit within a few days that restores support for Tumblr. (No promises, but it's looking good!)
  • Great. Is it pretty straight forward to switch back and forth between the Mac App Store version and betas?
  • Justin - yes I have a mechanism in my Mac App Store versions that saves out the receipt from the store so that the beta versions can access it and validate the app.
  • Thanks for the update.

For others following this thread. I can post to Tumblr again (MarsEdit prompted for a password, and after entering the password, the post went through successfully), but MarsEdit still can't retrieve new posts or updates from Tumblr.

• Is the beta with Tumblr support available? Do you post the info in this forum?

Thanks
  • How goes the tumblr compatibility issue?
  • Here's the link to the beta: https://twitter.com/redsweater/status/238081825841508352

So far I've had no problem publishing posts or retrieving the posts that I created during the Tumblr downtime.

Refreshing doesn't show posts in the Tumblr "Queue", but I don't remember if it ever did.

Thank you Mr. Jalkut for the hard work you did to restore Tumblr support (I know what a nightmare the Tumblr API is) and for the awesome automatic license for Mac App Store users.

• JustinLuey - thanks for posting the link to that. I neglected to update here with news of the beta.

MarsEdit has never supported the queue, but one nice side-effect of the new API is it seems more reliably for accessing those posts. I hope to be able to support the queue at some point.

Daniel
  • No problem.

Queue support would be great. I'm hoping the recent changes are a signal that Tumblr is starting to take their API seriously.

Now would be a great time to be really open and developer friendly, based on what Twitter is doing.
  • I am encouraged as well by the recent changes, and the developer staff at Tumblr (one guy in particular) has suddenly started taking a keen interest in helping out when I have issues. Quite refreshing!
  • dude,

about time you this got fixed. also blogger.com is not allowing creation of new blog entries, keeps prompting for a password. reading the posts works but what's te point. wordpress is the only one working!

$40 for your tool is not a trivial amount!!! you need to get your act together or make this a free product. i'm having serious buyers remorse!!
  • Hi wagnerg - I don't know if you noticed above but JustinLuey linked to a beta version that does restore support for this:

http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/MarsEdit3.5.6b2.zip

That should get Tumblr working again in the short term. I have been waiting to release a public, official version because I want to make sure some of the finer points are ironed out before releasing a full version.

I appreciate that $40 is not a trivial amount to pay for software, and I appreciate it that you paid for MarsEdit. If you're not happy with MarsEdit or if you don't think my attention to the product merits the price you paid, then please drop me a line at support@red-sweater.com. I would be happy to arrange a refund if you are not satisfied.

Daniel
  • Just found my older MarsEdit not working with Tumblr, just installed the MarsEdit3.5.6b2.zip, and it works just fine: thanks!
  • Great to hear, Bruce! be sure to check out the official 3.5.6 release just posted today:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2825/marsedit-3-5-6-tumblr-is-back
  • it is still not working. I even verified my password with tumblr
  • Hi - I'm sorry to hear it's still not working. I will probably have to look into your specific situation more closely. Will you email me support@red-sweater.com with a network log?

1. Open MarsEdit
    2. Select Window -> Network Log from the menu bar.
    3. Clear the log if it's not already empty.
    4. Try to refresh the blog again from MarsEdit.
    5. Copy the network log contents.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • ageekdadhusband: I just realized that you already had emailed me separate from the forums here, so disregard this message. Anybody else who runs into the same problem, the above advice to email me the network log applies.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!