Wordpress 3.0 featured image
  • Hi - yes, MarsEdit supports custom fields. You can configure them for your blog in the blog's settings, under the Custom Fields tab. To open the blog settings in MarsEdit, open the Main Window, and find your blog in the list on the left side of the window. Double-click the blog icon to open the settings window.

It's interesting to hear that the Image field can be used for that. What do you specify as the value, just the full URL to the image?
  • I just use the image url. But now that I think about it, this is a feature of my theme, which is a Woo Theme which uses a featured image, so I don't know if it would be universal.

I see how to add the field but where do I supply the image url in the post?
  • comicsbeat: once you add the custom field in the blog's configuration, it should show up in the post editor below e.g. Title and Tags. Just enter the URL in that field and it should send it along with the post when you submit it.
  • Guys...
    If you're still having trouble with this, then just install this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-post-thumbnail/ (this works, I've tried it) or this one:http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/easy-add-thumbnail/ (have not tried).

They automatically put the first image in the post as the featured image... ;)
  • Those plugins don't work. In fact, it's broken my site. So if there is a way to get setting the featured image in the MarsEdit program, please make it a priority. A ton of WordPress themes are using this method for setting thumbnails and is considered a standard. So please get this in the software ASAP please....
  • I'm really disappointed that WordPress doesn't provide access to the featured image via their API, and the plugins that have been linked so far in this post are not appropriate for my setup (I don't want to include the featured image in the actual post body).

So I created a variation of the "Auto Post Thumbnail" plugin that sets the featured image based on some specific markup that you can include in your post. You can find it here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/markup-to-featured-image/

This is what I am using as my MarsEdit media markup template:

<!--featured-image: #fileurl#-->

Hopefully this is helpful for others!

Incidentally, Daniel, it's possible to extend the WordPress XMLRPC API via plugins:

http://josephscott.org/archives/2008/11/adding-xml-rpc-methods-to-wordpress/

Adding support through a MarsEdit-specific plugin for this sort of feature might be nice for users who are comfortable unlocking additional functionality by installing a plugin. Not a great option from a philosophical standpoint, but something to consider. :-)
  • Thanks for sharing this. Yeah, I have considered developing a plugin of some kind to enhance WordPress but at the end of the day it's just one more thing I probably don't have the time to invest for doing it properly. If I were to develop a plugin it would be better to probably propose the changes as permanent fixes in WordPress itself so I wouldn't have to ask customers to install a special plugin.
  • Hi Daniel.

As a long time MarsEdit user, I would like to put my $0.02 worth in. I would love to see this as a feature. I recently redesigned my blog with a theme that relies heavily on featured images. Previously I was able to go into ME and publish directly from the app without every having to touch the backend of WordPress. Unfortunately, due to the upgrade, my workflow is back to being segmented between using ME to draft and proof my post and then uploading it as a draft and putting the final touches on it in wp-admin. As you might imagine, this is highly disruptive to my workflow and I'm losing productivity as a result.

Of course, I don't expect you to stop what you're doing and add this feature in just because of some whiny blogger complaining about his disrupted workflow. I merely wanted to contribute my opinion to the discussion and say that you're doing a fine job with ME and to keep up the good work.
  • Thanks, I know it's a very desirable feature. I appreciate your acknowledgement that it would be useful to you as well!
  • Just to add my desire for this feature. Noting this; it seems like it might be possible to do via the api now.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12355922/set-featured-image-for-wordpress-post-via-xml-rpc
  • Hi m750 - thanks for adding your voice. Yes, I do believe it is possible via the API now, it's primarly a matter of implementing the appropriate UI for it is in MarsEdit (and testing, etc. to make sure it is done well).
  • Adding a "me too" to the long list of folks for this one. I'll buy MarsEdit again if you implement, because it will save me having to learn a different client.
  • Hi jennigma - thanks for the vote of interest. Time keeps slipping away and since I'm a 1-man company with lots of different things going on, keeping up with the latest features is not always my strongest suit. I hope to be able to catch up on a lot of fronts with respect to WordPress at some point. In the mean time I focus on supporting the existing features that do work to make sure it continues to work the way it has in the past.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!