Wordpress 3.0 featured image
  • Hi,

Love using MarsEdit, makes blog posting so much less hassle - apart from not supporting Wordpress' "Featured Image".

Is access to this available via the WP API, and will MarsEdit support it? If not, I'd be interested in any suggestions on workarounds - eg what a WP plugin would have to do, if something could be scripted in Applescript, etc.

I'm quite happy to develop scripts to do this myself, but don't have much knowledge of WP internals, so need pointers ;-)

Many thanks
    Jon
  • Hi Jon - I am not sure if the "Featured Image" info is accessible via the API, but I'm going to look into it. If it's supported then I will add it to my list to support in MarsEdit as well.
  • Thanks, please let me know if this is something you're able to add!
  • I just want to vote +1 for this - it's the one feature that would make MarsEdit complete ;)
  • Any chance we will see this feature soon? It is the only thing keeping all my bloggers from using it. Featured image is a required option for our blog and while Marsedit is nice, having to go into wordpress afterwards just to add the image makes it somewhat limited.
  • Hi - sorry I don't have anything to report about this feature, at this point. It's on my TODO list, but lots of stuff is competing for my attention. Thanks for reminding me how important it is to you.

Daniel
  • If it helps to nudge it up the priority list, add my +1 as well.
  • +1 from me too, please.
  • Thanks folks. It does help.
  • I agree. Important to me, too.
  • Thanks, Michael.
  • ditto, +1 for me as well. i know my vote might not count for much since i am not currently a paying customer, BUT i will be when this feature is supported. :)
  • Just for the record, I don't make a distinction between paying or not paying customers when it comes to feedback about the application. After all, there is some incentive to pleasing non-paying customers so they give me their money, isn't there :)
  • Can I vote twice? ;-)

Seriously, I am using the featured image more and more for other aspects of my site, and it is a pain to have to manually set it inside the WordPress admin panel for each post. Thanks.
  • You can vote as much as you like :) Thanks for reminding me how frustrating the lack of this feature is for you.
  • Yes, also since the use of many themes which use featured images, it would be highly recommended to add this feature to my preferred WordPress editor......

Peter Luit, Netherlands
  • Thanks, Peter.
  • Yup, still checking back to ask if this will be possible any time soon ;-)
  • Still on the list, but nothing to report yet.
  • Hi guys, I know I'm having a bit of trouble with it at the moment, but this plugin might bridge the gap until Daniel adds the feature to MarsEdit.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-post-thumbnail/

Depending on what you want to use the 'Featured Image' for, it will create a post thumbnail from the first image in your post, allowing you to use the thumbnail on your main page, as per a 'magazine style' blog.

There is a conflict at the moment between ME and the plugin, which I'm hoping will be resolved soon.. (I'm contacting the writer of the plugin as we speak!)

http://www.red-sweater.com/forums/discussion/1859/me-3.2-duplicating-image-uploads-when-using-plugin

Check it out and see if it can work for you..

Best wishes,

Barry
  • MarsEdit seems like the perfect application for my needs, but lacking the support for featured image, it keeps me from using it on a daily basis. I hope you'll find a way to add the feature soon! The Wordpress' dashboard is horrible and using it is driving me crazy.

Ville Järveläinen, Finland
  • Thanks for the vote of confidence that supporting this would be useful for you. It's still on the TODO list. No news to report but I would like to implement support for it.
  • I would love to add my support for this. Featured image is huge. Right now, for every post I write in MarsEdit (3 different blogs) I then have to go into WordPress editor to do two things:

1. Designate the Featured Image
    2. Specify image captions to get that nifty little Wordpress frame and decent spacing around images

Thanks!
  • Thanks for letting me know what your priorities are!
  • I run a number of blogs and also have other contributors and I'm trying to find a way to get people away from having to go into the Wordpress admin page.

The two things stopping this is the 'Featured Image' and the ability to access the Wordpress media library.

I know the featured image is on the cards but is there a way to gain access to the Worspress media library so people can include previously uploaded images into a post.

Thanks for the help.
  • Hi Adam - I have long wanted to be able to access the WordPress media library. At least until very recently it has been impossible, but there were some changes on WordPress recently that I need to look closer at. They may make this more of a reality.
  • I have a work around for Featured Image, I have posted a forum post

http://www.red-sweater.com/forums/discussion/1918/wordpress-featured-thumbnail/#Item_1

Just need to know if there is a way to get the attachment_id number back from images uploaded and this problem is sorted with the use of a custom field.

Hope this is possible, fingers crossed
    Lee
  • As I said in the other thread, I will need to dedicate some time to looking into this whole question of supporting featured images. I did just do a quick test of uploading an image to a WordPress blog, and examining the network log activity. Unfortunately the data that WordPress returns is still quite spare. It includes only the file name, URL, and MIME type. And unfortunately the URL doesn't seem to include any hint as to the attachment_id.
  • I too would like to see this feature added. I don't want to use anything other than MarsEdit and until this feature comes in I am forced to come to the admin page of Wordpress.

I looking forward to hearing about the developements.
  • Thanks for the feedback, Adam. It's still on my list of possible features to add soon.
  • Hi - I too missed the feature (which nowadays, in view of the new templates out there, I think should be seen as a basic feature) as I bought the soft from the Mac Appstore and started using it a few days ago. However, I found a solution which is mostly a workaround that worked for me, but I felt should be shared since others might find it useful, too.

I installed a plugin in Wordpress called Auto Featured Image, which automatically adds the attached image of a post also as a featured image. The only downside is that, once an image in the post is added to wordpress, the plugin uses it indefinitely as the featured image, even if you change the image inside the post in MarsEdit later.

If you need to change the image already added to a published post along with the featured image you need to log into wordpress and change the featured image manually.

As long as you get the images right the first time you post, it should be fine and you won't need to log into Wordpress to pick the featured image. At least this worked for me.
  • Just forgot to say that, other than this (the lack of featured image support) MarsEdit has been perfect. Thanks!
  • Thanks, the automatic featured image plugin sounds useful as a workaround when there's only one image. Glad to hear the app is working well for you in other regards!
  • As one who does not yet own MarsEdit, and was close to purchasing, I was glad to find this thread.

Every post I do on my blog requires a Featured Image, so not much point in using/buying MarsEdit until this feature is implemented...

Any news on this front?
  • Still waiting for some news... any news! September 2010 I made the first request. It's been quite a while.
  • Sorry, Robo, Jon. I am not able to guarantee any particular timeframe for fixes, or to offer any updates on the status of fixes.

I know it's frustrating but please try to understand that I have a thousand different things always competing for my attention. The best I can do is just continue chipping away at the pile of requests and plans.

Daniel
  • Another vote here for Featured Image. I manage multiple blogs for clients and would love for the featured image to upload automatically. It annoys me actually that WP can't figure that out and make it auto. It should more be an option to turn off than to have to do manually.
  • I looked into this a bit more recently and unfortunately, this is currently not possible to achieve from MarsEdit through the API that WordPress supplies. The good news is it looks like they are investigating support for this because they want to add the feature to their own iOS app. When they add support to the API I will be able to resume work on incorporating a feature for it into MarsEdit.
  • Thanks for checking, look forward to that feature!
  • Blogsy on the iPad has this feature built in now. It requires a customization on the website to make it work. I haven't tried it yet, but thought you might want to have a look at how they are doing this to make this work with MarsEdit. I use Blogsy very little and ME all the time so I'd love the same feature even if it took a little work on our end.
  • Thanks for the tip … I usually try to avoid anything that requires changes on the server, but if it's in anticipation of an official change from WordPress it sometimes makes sense to provide support early and let customers tweak the server before it's officially ready.
  • I've been following this and now two years later, any traction?
  • The one thing that forces me to open blogs' admin for a final edit. I hope they open this door up soon at WP.
  • Sorry folks, nothing available yet. Please take into consideration that although it's been years since the earliest request for this functionality, the server side still does not (as I last checked) officially support it. So the best I could so is support some kind of third-party tweak of the server, which is something I would usually prefer to not do.
  • I would like to ad +1 for featured image. I am trying the free version right now and will not pay for ME if this feature is not in it, because I use it a lot.
  • Thanks for the feedback, I definitely wouldn't expect you to pay for the app if it's not fulfilling your needs. Featured image is something I want to support but can't promise when it's going to be done.
  • Hi, just downloaded the trial.

But I'm a little confused about how to format images (ie. float). Do I have to edit the HTML to do this? If so, then I may as well just write the post in the browser?

Also would really like support for featured image. The whole point of using something like Mars Edit for me would be so I didn't have to go to the browser.

Might have to wait and see if this is supported I guess.
  • Hi tootable - the image styling options in MarsEdit are fairly simple by default, expecting that most image styling will be performed by the server's theme file. MarsEdit's basic style presets e.g. "Align Left" and "Align Right" do use floats to achieve this, and you can open them up and customize the HTML in the style macro if you like. You can also add new, custom style macros. For each of these customizations you do have to write the HTML yourself, but you only have to do it once and afterward you can just select the item from the Style popup when inserting new items.

MarsEdit doesn't yet support featured image, but it's on my TODO list.

I appreciate the that with these shortcomings MarsEdit might not be the right tool for you.

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the explanation about the style macros. That sounds good.

However, I guess to have a featured image there is no way to avoid having to log in to the web version to set the featured image in wordpress.

I'm mostly looking at Marsedit as a possible solution for clients who are a bit intimidated by logging in to the web version of wordpress.

Liam
  • As far as the featured image thing goes I think you are fairly limited to going in to the web interface, yes.

However, I have heard of a plugin that will automatically set an image in your post to the featured image. This might work for some workflows if there is only one image, say, in the post, or it can be placed so it's the one that the plugin picks up:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-featured-image/

Daniel
  • Not to bring up Ecto again, but in Ecto you can use custom fields, and I just use "Image" to set the featured image. Is there anyway to include custom fields in MarsEdit? These can also apply to parent pages and many other useful things.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!