Macbook Air unwilling to release F-key for FastScripts use
  • Hi Daniel, guys - this is my 1st post here. Daniel: I'm a _long_ time user, amazing app!

OK, as I stated in the title, my new, late 2010 MBA 13
  • oops - my posting was cut, for some reason. Here it is in toto.
    Hi Daniel, guys - this is my 1st post here. Daniel: I'm a _long_ time user, amazing app!

OK, as I stated in the title, my new, late 2010 MBA 13" is not allowing me to use F keys F6 and up for scripts. I tried everything, starting with System Preferences, looking at the shortcuts of all apps, etc.

Any ideas, or guidance in more advanced ways of finding which app might be using F6?

tx in advance!

mike
  • Hi mike - sorry about the cut-off post, seems to be a recurring issue here.

I'm glad you are such a happy user of FastScripts!

As for your question, I'm not sure what's going on. I just tried on my (very new) MacBook Pro 15" and it let me put a shortcut of F6 in. If you press F6 on your Mac, does anything happen at all? That might be a good clue as to what has claimed it. Aside from that, I'm afraid I don't know what to say.

What happens when you try to set the keyboard shortcut in FastScripts, when you press e.g. F6 to try to set it, does something happen? Does some other app become active? Or does it just quietly fail?

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

BTW, I'm on 10.6.5 - I double click the to the right of the script, it gets hilited, I press F6, it silently fails. On its own, F6 doesn't do anything, nothing becomes active.

mike
  • Something occurred to me, are you using the "fn" key when you press the F6 key? I think that unless you are doing this, then the laptop-specific feature (brightness, on my MacBook Pro) is applied, and the system (and FastScripts by extension) doesn't even get to handle the key.
  • Daniel - problem solved, thanks!
    On my MacPro I could just press "F6", but on the MBA I can't, needs to be "fn F6"as you mention. Well, not ideal, but not too bad either.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!