Reinstalled Wordpress blog - unable to repost articles from MarsEdit
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this cool piece of blogging kit :)

I just deleted and reloaded my Wordpress blog from scratch.

The login/users/database are all the same. But Marsedit is giving an error msg about invalid post ID.

Any clues?

Cheers

• Hi dm5n - the problem is probably that MarsEdit has cached the messages from the old instance of the blog. When you reloaded your blog it probably rebuilt the whole database and posts have different blog IDs than before. You may need to "Refresh" in MarsEdit to get the post IDs to match up.
  • Ouch. I hit Refresh and all my posts were deleted in Marsedit. Any way to get them back?
  • Hi - I'm really sorry about the slow response time here.

Also, I am starting to worry that I misunderstood what you were trying to do with MarsEdit. MarsEdit, as a rule, is not an archive of posts but only caches recent posts from your blog. When you said you had deleted and reloaded your WordPress blog from scratch, I took it to mean your posts were all back up on your blog. Was that not the case? "Refresh" in MarsEdit always means "go ask the blog what the recent posts are."

Now I'm worried that you have lost all your posts and perhaps did not have a backup of the blog from WordPress itself? If it is indeed this dire I am afraid that I don't have a straight-forward solution for you to recover all of your posts. How many were there in all?

Ideally you have some backup of your blog from before you deleted it and rebuilt it. That would be the best way to restore your blog completely.

The next best thing would probably be to recover your MarsEdit "Application Support" folder from a backup of your Mac, if you have been backing up regularly. If you restore the Application Support folder to what it was before the Refresh, MarsEdit will still contain these "cached copies" of the posts from your blog.

Lastly, the least complete resource but a place where at least you can recover the bulk of the content for all the posts you ever published from MarsEdit, is in MarsEdit's Application Support. There's a special folder called "Backups" that is a complete record of every post you've published, in text format for dire emergencies only:

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit -> Backups

Note: If you are running on OS X Lion 10.7 or later, you can get to the "Library" folder by holding the option key while selecting Go -> Library from the Finder's menu bar.

I'm really sorry about the potential data loss here. I hope to make MarsEdit more suitable in the future as a permanent archive for posts.

If you have any questions at all about this please let me know. Also if you run into any trouble recovering the posts let me know because I have a few other ideas I might be able to work with but would require you sending me a copy of your MarsEdit application support folder.

Daniel
  • Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the detailed reply and sorry for my late one.

Fortunately I had backed up the blog (only 3 posts at the time - but lengthy ones).

It's reasonable that MarsEdit's Refresh function would do as you say - refresh from the blog.

I guess I was getting Refreshing confused with Synchronising - where files would be synced and the process would be non-destructive. I wonder if that would be a useful feature?

I think archiving would be a valuable feature.

Thanks for your concern re: my posts, but they're fine. And thankyou again for this very cool app.

Cheers.

• Daniel JalkutDaniel Jalkut
    Accepted Answer
    It's great to hear your posts are safe. Thanks for letting me know. Yes, longer term I think something more along the lines of synchronization would be a better approach for MarsEdit!
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!