A handy script to have in FastScripts
  • Because FastScripts gives you the ability to choose a key combination to run a script stored as a script, I find it very useful to have this little script in my Script Folder.

activate application \"Finder\"
    tell application \"System Events\" to tell process \"Finder\" to tell menu bar 1 ¬
    to tell menu bar item \"Edit\" to tell menu \"Edit\" to click menu item \"Show Clipboard\"
    -- Note that the second statement is all one line

Does what it looks like it does - shows you the current contents of the Clipboard from anywhere. I select the text I want, use Command - c to get it, use my ShowClipboard code to see it, use Command - W to close the Clipboard window and Command - Tab to get back where was.
  • Thanks for sharing this NovaScotian. An alternative that doesn't depend on UI Scripting, but which also doesn't produce as pretty of a display, is to simply display the contents of the clipboard directly from AppleScript:

display dialog (the clipboard)

These are the kinds of little time-savers that I think FastScripts is best suited for. Please continue to share your ideas!

Daniel
  • It's more than just a prettier form, Dan. A dialog box can't display a picture - the GUI script will. I use this when I've cut a picture or an icon to paste somewhere and want a glimpse at it before I paste it.
  • Very good point! I had spaced out the possibility of other clipboard contents than text...
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!