Weird bug? Window not active
  • Even weirder is that I posted this query the other day but it seems to have disappeared. Ah well, maybe I posted it another forum in error?

I create a new document but when I try to type in the main window or paste copy into it, the window doesn't respond. Nothing hapens. The only solution is to close that window and open a new one which works just fine.

BTW, OSX 10.9.2, ME 3.6.4

Bill
  • Hi Bill - is this something that happens predictably every time you make a new document? I know you said that closing the window and opening a new one seems to work, but does that mean it is alternating working and failing? Or is it only the first window you create after launching the app that fails?

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel - It seems to do it at random. The next time it happens, I'll be sure to remember when it happened exactly.

Bill
  • BTW, all the other options function, title, tags, description, field, category, it's just the main window that doesn't respond.
  • Now this is weird. I kept the 'non-functioning' window and then decided to look at it in HTML mode and lo an behold all the text I'd pasted was there and when I switched back it all showed up.
  • Ok, I opened the first window, did work etc, then opened a second window to create a new post and...nothing. The window refuses to respond. So I opened a third window and, no problem.

Ok, I switched the view to HTML and all the text was there! Switched back to Rich Text and it all showed up! Clearly there is a problem, minor though it is.
  • Hi Bill - sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Do you think it might be a situation where the text is "hiding" in a "more text" section of the post, and when you switch to HTML and back again it's somehow getting moved out? When you switch to HTML text is there anything like at the top of the post?
  • Nope. I never use that (annoying) more option. It just happened; I opened a new window, clicked in the content section and pasted the text. Nothing. Switched to HTML view and there it all is. Switched back Rich Text view and it's all there. A Mavericks bug? (10.9.3)
  • Not sure if this helps buy just now, I was working on a doc that was in HTML view, I selected everything and deleted it, switched to Rich Text and pasted the (Mail) text into the window. Nothing. Switched views and back again and as before, it showed up.
  • Hm, thanks. I'll play around with this some more and see if I can figure out what's going on. One other thing you could do for me is check your system Console log for any messages MarsEdit might be spitting out.

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console
    2. Type "MarsEdit" into the search box to filter the output.
    3. Copy/paste the resulting log messages.

Thank you!
    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,
    Ok, booted up ME, opened a new window pasted in content, no content, switched to HTML, contents there, switched back and it's normal. Here's the log:

27/06/2014 11:00:03.501 MarsEdit[1282]: RSCrashReporter started, watching /Applications/MarsEdit.app, version 3.6.4

27/06/2014 11:00:05.475 WindowServer[105]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "MarsEdit" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

27/06/2014 11:00:09.634 WindowServer[105]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "MarsEdit" after 5.16 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

27/06/2014 11:00:10.000 kernel[0]: MarsEdit (map: 0xffffff8028c9a780) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0xffffff8028c9a780, region 0x7fff94a00000->0x7fff94c00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.
  • Thanks for doing that test. Unfortunately nothing obvious is jumping out at me, although some of these messages do seem weird.

Can you tell me if, when you are experiencing this problem, you ever see the "rainbow circle spinning cursor" that sometimes appears on Macs when an app becomes unresponsive.
  • Nope. The app otherwise behaves normally. For the record, this weird event is quite rare. I might create say a dozen or so new docs each day and maybe one or two behave this way.
  • Nope. The app otherwise behaves normally. For the record, this weird event is quite rare. I might create say a dozen or so new docs each day and maybe one or two behave this way.

BTW, what is going on with this forum? What is this?

Click accept or reject beside an answer.

I'll try to post this again!!!!!
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!