Varying font size
  • Try this experiment: Open a daily puzzle and fill in some answers. Hit the green button to maximize the window. Do it again to restore the original window size. Why are the answer letters and position numbers a couple of points smaller now?

• That's the original on the right and the debigulated version on the left. Notice that the squares are the same size, only the text has shrunk. The inflated size probably makes a difference, so I'll add that this is on a 20" iMac. Running Leopard, in case that matters.
  • I can't reproduce it on my PowerPC G5 running Leopard. I'll have to try later on with my Intel laptop!

I guess you never noticed this before Leopard? (Not to say it wasn't a bug before, but you hadn't happened to see it?)

Daniel
  • I think I saw it before Leopard, but I didn't pay close attention. I'm not positive one way or the other.
  • Even without resizing, today's LA Times puzzle opened up with the smaller numbers and answers. Yet it seems to be a standard daily puzzle, 15x15. I don't see anything unusual about it.

• Today's oddity was on a G4 iBook running 10.5.1. The earlier occurrence was on a 20" iMac.
  • Very odd. I've obviously got to figure something out. Just going through the text drawing code might help reveal something.
  • I played with this for a minute this morning and realized that the numbers are slow to grow when you increment the puzzle (command-plus) but quick to diminish when you decrement (command-minus). Try growing the puzzle in six or eight steps then reversing the process and I bet you'll see the effect.
  • OK - I didn't see this on my PowerPC G5, but just tried it on my MacBook Pro and am seeing some interesting stuff. It seems like maybe the numbers don't round up at the same rate as the letters, sometimes.
  • Any progress on this? Today's CrosSynergy puzzle opens with small letters and numbers. For me, anyway.
  • Hi Ephraim - sorry no progress yet. I've been caught up with some other issues.
  • Part of the answer is that non-square puzzles do this. The CrosSynergy puzzle mentioned above is 14x15. Today's NY Sun puzzle does the same thing and it's 15x16. Perhaps the LA Times puzzle I claimed as 15x15 wasn't really. I can't tell now, as it's no longer on-line.
  • Oooh. This is a great clue. Thanks. I also got another bug report about non-square puzzles today, that you can't use the zoom button on them! So I'll look at them both together.
  • What is the status of the font size problem?

I did an erase and install of Leopard over the weekend and discovered that Sunday's New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, and the Washington Post puzzles all had the smaller letters.
  • Hi Vicky - I don't have anything to report yet. I will be sure to update this thread when I have any news.

Thanks for the information. I'll try to get to the bottom of this soon.

Daniel
  • OK - I think I finally tracked this one down. I'm really sorry it took so long. I had to redo the code that figures out what the right font size is for the current puzzle display size.

I'll ship this publicly soon, but I'd appreciate it if you can try it out and make sure everything seems to be working well now:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blackink/BlackInk1.0.9b1.dmg

Note: I now actually see a small discrepancy between the font size on my MacBook Pro and my G5. The font seems to big on my G5, but at least it stays consistent when resizing. I'll figure out the G5 problem before I make this public.
  • And ... another build ... with the font discrepancy between PPC and Intel fixed:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blackink/BlackInk1.0.9b2.dmg
  • The font sizes look good, but there's a problem with maximizing the window using the green plus. It seems to work on some puzzles but not on others. Or maybe it's just random. Didn't work for me when I tried the NY Sun puzzle cited in item #12, above.
  • Thanks, Ephraim! The symptom is that the zoom simply doesn't work, right. I am reproducing this, too. Will figure it out!

Glad I got some testing before publicly releasing it!

Daniel
  • OK ! It turned out the zooming bug was related to the non-square dimensions of the NY Sun puzzle. These little bugs keep coming up and biting us. Hopefully we'll run out eventually :)

Fixed:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blackink/BlackInk1.0.9b4.dmg
  • I've been using the new beta for a week and it looks good. Thanks for squashing that one.
  • Thanks for letting me know. I should release that publicly this week.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!